What's new

Surface 3 Pro dock won't connect to ethernet network

Hipertec

Surface 3 Pro with Surface dock will not connect to ethernet. I have updated of S3P, confirm good cable, charging etc.

Any advice as the ethernet will not log to network or Internet.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Surface 3 Pro with Surface dock will not connect to ethernet. I have updated of S3P, confirm good cable, charging etc.

Any advice as the ethernet will not log to network or Internet.

Can you give us more info? Is this the SP3 Dock or the newer SP4/SB Dock? Are you running Windows 8.1 or 10? Does the Ethernet Adapter show up in Device Manager? Have you updated the Firmware on the Dock?

Thanks...

OP
H

Hipertec

Thanks for the quick reply.
This is the original SP3 dock. My SP3 is windows 10 Pro with all firmware and upgrades done.
The dock itself works but it will not work with the ethernet.
You mentioned updating the dock 3? How do you do this?

Any help would be appreciated.

OP
H

Hipertec

Follow the instructions here to update the dock - Microsoft Surface Dock Updater (Surface)

When in the dock do you see the Ethernet Adapter in Device Manger?
I'm currently traveling but I believe the updater is only for the new SD4 and doesn't work with the older surface 3 dock.
Do they have an updater for the older S dock 3?
If I remember when I connected the SP3 to the dock, it didn't find my ethernet adapter. Can I manually install?
I've even tried a clean wipe and restart buy it didn't work... Which was a pain for a non fix. Please help.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
IIRC - The updater will work on the SP3 and New Dock, it is also possible your dock has a hardware fault

OP
H

Hipertec

OK. Will try when I return but the weird thing is my charging, USB and monitor all work.
Unfortunately I never tried to use the ethernet and now the warranty is expired.
I hope the updater will work or any other suggestions.

PS- any idea where I can get the driver for the ethernet adapter to manually install?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It doesn't look like the driver is part of the package :| weird....

After looking, the Ethernet driver is an inbox driver for Windows 10...

OP
H

Hipertec

Thanks for the quick reply. So when you say inbox w10 does it mean it's already part of my operating system and will only trigger if it detects the ethernet port?
Any way around this?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the quick reply. So when you say inbox w10 does it mean it's already part of my operating system and will only trigger if it detects the ethernet port?
Any way around this?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Correct...is it listed in Device Manager? Any unknown devices?