What's new

Surface 3 Ram : 2gb or 4gb

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the 4gb Surface 3, and use mine just for internet, videos, audio books. Typical tablet stuff. Even with 4gb I find it fairly slow.

OP
O

ONeill29

It's weird because on a S2 @GreyFox7 said
I just fired up the Surface 2 [so 2GB] and opened 4 PDFs from OneDrive, Two Word Documents from OneDrive, a local spreadsheet, a PowerPoint file, OneNote, 5 IE tabs and Task Manager. I can switch from app to app and navigate in the apps from page to page, scroll up and down etc. and its pretty responsive. None of these files are small, idle browser tabs sometimes lag a bit when activated but I think that's normal
And for you just typical stuff are a bit low

Why ????

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the 4gb Surface 3, and use mine just for internet, videos, audio books. Typical tablet stuff. Even with 4gb I find it fairly slow.
Slow is a relative term and compared to the SP3, which you also have, it is relatively slower... however the Surface 3 is comparable with other tablets which the SP3 is not.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
No don't take acount my last message.
You have answer, slow is relative but the fact that @hughlle find a 4GB version slow is noneteless surprising

What do yo mean with that :
Surface 3 with it's 4W Atom processor is comparable to tablets using low power ARM processors. The Surface Pro 3 uses a Core I (3/5/7) ULV Processor at 15W which is in a different class alltogether, this CPU is typically found in Laptops and Ultrabooks.

Last edited:
OP
O

ONeill29

Okay I understand

And my last question : If I have the need, exists it some apps or programs which can manage the RAM ? or W8.1/10 makes it good

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Okay I understand

And my last question : If I have the need, exists it some apps or programs which can manage the RAM ? or W8.1/10 makes it good
You don't need any program... Windows has it covered. Don't need no stinking program, man :)

Reactions: CDG

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Slow is a relative term and compared to the SP3, which you also have, it is relatively slower... however the Surface 3 is comparable with other tablets which the SP3 is not.

Definitely. But since getting back to my parents this summer, I moved back to my nexus 10 for tablet use and while the s3 is far far far more capable, they are still in my mind, pretty similar in speed for normal usage. Kinda understandable though given the difference in the OS. So yes, completely comparable with other tablets. Nexus 7, 10, IPAD air 2, all slow imo.

Basically, if something like an IPAD air 2 is fast enough for you, then so will the 4gb S3 (have not used the 2gb)

mva5580

The S3 may be "comparable" to something like an iPad Air, but I personally find the S3 noticeably slower then the newest iPad. That's my biggest problem with it. If it could at least be on par with an iPad for basic things like web browsing, I'd happily own one. I just couldn't accept it being noticeably slower for such a basic task.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The S3 may be "comparable" to something like an iPad Air, but I personally find the S3 noticeably slower then the newest iPad. That's my biggest problem with it. If it could at least be on par with an iPad for basic things like web browsing, I'd happily own one. I just couldn't accept it being noticeably slower for such a basic task.
Yeah, you made that comment... difference with an iPad is it doesn't do Flash, the most popular Adware platform on the net and the Ads in the last year or two have exploded in numbers. In addition to the tracking lists mentioned earlier you should disable the Flash Player.