What's new

Surface 3 - Rumors + what should it be

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
We shall see... I wouldn't take the chance that the patient will still be around to receive that late in coming breath. ;-)
The Surface 2 and the Lumina 2520 will probably be the last true RT device, if the rumors of Threshold holdout to be correct, it won't matter as the Small Screen SKU will over screens 3.7" to 9" running ARM or ATOM, will not include a desktop and most likely include Office Gemini, so a single SKU will cover phones and lower power tablets.... no drama, no backtracking....

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Surface 2 and the Lumina 2520 will probably be the last true RT device, if the rumors of Threshold holdout to be correct, it won't matter as the Small Screen SKU will over screens 3.7" to 9" running ARM or ATOM, will not include a desktop and most likely include Office Gemini, so a single SKU will cover phones and lower power tablets.... no drama, no backtracking....

Interesting thought but where does that leave the 10.1 - 12.2 ARM tablet class? we are still waiting for Intel to deliver the promise of a truly competitive SoC in that space. They are getting there but not this year, and really probably not next year, so maybe in 2016 for parity in power and gpu. In the meantime I believe the RT option is a viable competitor to Android/iOS and NO desktop is needed for that but you cannot abandon the space. Now I'm more convinced they need to reskin a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5.

Not everybody needs or wants Full Windows. Even if you could select a System Config Profile that said don't show me the desktop and don't run legacy desktop apps Atom is ok CPU wise, not there yet on the GPU capabilities and thus not there yet on power consumption.

BTW I have tied the iPad, and Amazon Kindle Fire 8.9 and I don't want any part of any tablet smaller than 10.1. After that ill use my Note 3 phablet with pen. I read War and Peace on a vintage 2002 windows mobile phone ... whatever they were called then... with its 2.x screen.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The same SKU can run on any size screen, but the motivation for the smaller screen size is the $0 License Cost, where over the 9" screen size OEMs will pay normal licensing....

As far as hoping Samsung will release an Windows Tablet, don't hold your breath as they entered into an agreement with the Devil (I mean Google) to use Android for their tablets, going so far as to kill off the ATIV Q dual Boot Slider....

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well then, IF there's no more Surface non Pro's in this size class coming I'm just waiting for the next iteration in the Galaxy Note line hopefully a 10.5 inch unit with their s-pen. If they announce that it will be a nobrainer if not it will be a choice between the 10.1 and 12.2 Note models. Samsung was genus in (finally) going with the 10.5 form factor. :) especially smart if they knew MS was exiting that space.

Hmm a bit of humor. Surface non-Pro ... I guess that would be the Surface Amateur, Surface Beginner, or Surface Student... Surface Consumer sounds like an alien Borg monster... that would never fly ;-)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The most likely scenario will be Surface becomes the x86 line and Lumia for the ARM line.... just judging Elop's past strategies....

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The source for all the articles is DigiTimes in their record is spotty at best.... but if true it will be a great edition....

TheNeighbor

The Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 available now on Amazon for $497 has those specs. yep its very nice ... although id really want to see a Note 10.5 version with the s-pen to be willing to buy one.

I left the pen off my Surface 3 wish list but if I was to wish for the stars then id want a pen as an option too. so I didn't go through a catalog, just looked at a recently released tablets specs ... MS will have to keep up with the Samsungs to be competitive.

I saw and tried the Tab S in my locality. Nicely this and light. what bothers me is that they only sell 16GB models. Trust me, I've used a Galaxy Note 8, and even with a 64GB micro SD card expansion, the 10GB out of the 16GB internal space will be eaten up with apps generating data. It just irks me to be hunting and erasing the data, and could only recover to get 4GB+ of internal space left.

Last edited:
OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I saw and tried the Tab S in my locality. Nicely this and light. what bothers me is that they only sell 16GB models. Trust me, I've used a Galaxy Note 8, and even with a 64GB micro SD card expansion, the 10GB out of the 16GB internal space will be eaten up with apps generating data. It just irks me to be

Agreed on the 16gb I read there would be a 32gb version but I haven't seem one. Otherwise the specs are great. I'm hoping the refresh of the Note line will include a 10.5" unit with similar or better specs than the S and of course the S-Pen plus other extras including bigger storage options. That's what I want to see from Samsung.

At the same time id like to see Microsoft release a tablet that's neck and neck competitive with what Samsung is releasing. I might get both. :)

TheNeighbor

Agreed on the 16gb I read there would be a 32gb version but I haven't seem one. Otherwise the specs are great. I'm hoping the refresh of the Note line will include a 10.5" unit with similar or better specs than the S and of course the S-Pen plus other extras including bigger storage options. That's what I want to see from Samsung.

At the same time id like to see Microsoft release a tablet that's neck and neck competitive with what Samsung is releasing. I might get both. :)

Even with those specs, and if they did come out with a new Note 10.5 with Super AMOLED, I wouldn't get it if it's only 16GB.

Yes, I do wish MS should have put in a digitizer pen with Surface 2, as I sketch a lot. I don't mind it not being integrated with a silo hole on the device. I would have chosen the Galaxy Note 10.1, but l was lured by the Surface 2's kickstand, full Office, full USB 3.0, 200GB OneDrive for 2 years, good battery life, and that backlit integrated Type Cover for my writing and browsing needs. I can still live with my Note 8's drawing capabilities.