What's new

Surface 3 screen cracked

Turbo4AWD

Late one night while getting up from the couch I knocked my Surface 3 from the very wide arm rest of the couch it was sitting on. I thought I was lucky and it landed on the area rug, but only part of it landed on the area rug, the rest landed on the tile floor and the screen has long cracks on it. Touch no longer works. I know that if it's still under warranty I can get it replaced for ~$300, but have been feeling like I need a detachable that can do more. Although it may be nice to have an i7 processor with a super silent fan, I don't think I need the processing power for what I use the Surface for. I got the Surface 3 to replace my iPad because it was limited to what it could do. I was constantly getting stuck while browsing the web by a prompt "...not available for mobile devices..." so having full blown Windows 10 on a iPad sized touchscreen tablet meant no more "...mobile device.." error messages online.

I did notice that the latest firmware AND April update have sped things up significantly, but "...would it be $300 worth?" is the question. Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe I should try to eBay a used Surface Pro 3/4 with an i5 and enjoy that at a MUCH lower price than brand new Surface Pro? Let me know what you all think.

Plantje

Sorry to hear about the cracked screen. Last Thursday I switched from a Surface 3 LTE 4/128 to a Surface Pro LTE i5/8/256 and I am VERY happy with it! It is snappy, works super silent (because of lack of fan) and LTE seems way better than on the Surface 3! The keyboard is better, screen is better. It kind of feels like a relief :)

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

Sorry to hear about the cracked screen. Last Thursday I switched from a Surface 3 LTE 4/128 to a Surface Pro LTE i5/8/256 and I am VERY happy with it! It is snappy, works super silent (because of lack of fan) and LTE seems way better than on the Surface 3! The keyboard is better, screen is better. It kind of feels like a relief :)

Good to know. Looks like I will be saving up for a Surface Pro i5 then!

Plantje

Got mine for € 1100,-. A Surface Pro with a Surface Pro 4 keyboard with fingerprint scanner. All brand new!
Unfortunately not in a store. I was sceptical at first, but it all checked out, was valid, not stolen etc

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

Got mine for € 1100,-. A Surface Pro with a Surface Pro 4 keyboard with fingerprint scanner. All brand new!
Unfortunately not in a store. I was sceptical at first, but it all checked out, was valid, not stolen etc

I just want the Surface Pro. For the keyboard I wanted to get one of the NFL logo keyboards for the Surface Pro instead. Hopefully they're still available. Thought it would be a really good graphic to have on the bottom of the keyboard on my Surface Pro. So I may be able to find one for even less than what you paid! In the meantime I might be able to use my Surface 3 keyboard just to get by.

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

Like these...
NFLkeyboard.jpg

stufried

Good to know. Looks like I will be saving up for a Surface Pro i5 then!

I made exactly the same journey (Surface 3) to Surface Pro LTE and love the journey. I still like my Surface 3 and may use it is a travel machine on occasion. It simply didn't have any resale value.

I went with the Surface Pro to streamline the number of devices I have. I hacked a copy of Android onto it to get a usable Kindle and New York times experience.

There are rumors of a Surface Go LTE coming out in the fall.

Plantje

I made exactly the same journey (Surface 3) to Surface Pro LTE and love the journey. I still like my Surface 3 and may use it is a travel machine on occasion. It simply didn't have any resale value.

I went with the Surface Pro to streamline the number of devices I have. I hacked a copy of Android onto it to get a usable Kindle and New York times experience.

There are rumors of a Surface Go LTE coming out in the fall.
I am in doubt of trying to sell my Surface 3. Perhaps my wife wants it. (Obviously I am not selling it to my wife ;) )

How did you hack a copy of Android onto your Surface Pro? Currently I am waiting for my Tesla Model 3, but until that is available in the Netherlands I will be looking for ways to mount my Surface Pro in the car. However, today I have been eyeballing a Chuwi Hi9 Air tablet again. Just because Google Maps (at least in the Netherlands) is this much better in providing driving guidance. If I can run Android (even in windowed mode) on my Surface Pro that would be nice!

I have been playing around with blue stacks and the likes in the past only to find that quite some apps will not be working since the apps regard it as a "rooted Android" device.

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

I am in doubt of trying to sell my Surface 3. Perhaps my wife wants it. (Obviously I am not selling it to my wife ;) )

How did you hack a copy of Android onto your Surface Pro? Currently I am waiting for my Tesla Model 3, but until that is available in the Netherlands I will be looking for ways to mount my Surface Pro in the car. However, today I have been eyeballing a Chuwi Hi9 Air tablet again. Just because Google Maps (at least in the Netherlands) is this much better in providing driving guidance. If I can run Android (even in windowed mode) on my Surface Pro that would be nice!

I have been playing around with blue stacks and the likes in the past only to find that quite some apps will not be working since the apps regard it as a "rooted Android" device.

Just picked up a Surface Pro 6 (Black) with 8GB RAM and 256GB storage and absolutely LOVE the battery life, speed, and overall device! So happy! Proudly a Surface Pro owner! ….now I just need to format/erase everything on the Surface 3 and then send it in for Recycling or something.