What's new

Surface 3 Screen issues (ongoing)

Hildy98

Had my Surface 3 a few years now with very little issues, I have the random screen rotate status randomly pops up even with it on its kickstand and stationary. I've been able to live with that as its random, and when under warranty, Microsoft could not duplicate the issue so I never got a replacement like I have read others getting new devices.

Well ever since the big Fall Creators update I have had more and more issues and debating on a total reset. Now no matter what I do I cannot get the screen into portrait mode unless I force it in the settings. I turn the screen, I get the auto rotate screen on notification, yet the screen remains in Landscape Mode. I have done the hard reset and all I get is a screen that I can enable or disable things. I have pretty much tried everything else I could dig up on this forum and a few others.

Also have noted during the last few charges the wall adaptor is getting mighty warm..

Other than that the Surface seems to be running fine..

OP
H

Hildy98

I went in and uninstalled the Intel drivers for the GPU as well as the sensor drivers and reinstalled them. Seems to have fixed the issue for now..

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went in and uninstalled the Intel drivers for the GPU as well as the sensor drivers and reinstalled them. Seems to have fixed the issue for now..
If that doesn't fix it you might have to enable Rotation Lock. My dad's XPS 18 does this just siting there on the desk, I think the sensor is going bad. Seems you can only disable the whole sensor collection in Device Manager which I assume includes the compass, ambient light sensor, accelerometer, and gyroscope.

OP
H

Hildy98

I've been on it pretty much all day today with no issues. I also deleted a few programs as well that I am not using anymore. I did however go thru a few more items and updated or put in the proper OEM Drivers and its running a whole lot better. I have not seen the Autorotate icon pop up all day, unless i tipped the screen too much. I need to find a new AAAA battery for the pen tomorrow, was fighting that issue as well, totally forgot the pen has 2 different batteries in it.. Debating on upgrading to the Pro Tablet or upgrading my desktop now, or sell the desktop to fund the Pro, I am using it more and more now..