What's new

Surface 3 successor is actually Core M Surface Pro 4?

Turbo4AWD

I feel as if there will not be a Surface 4 since Microsoft seems to have made the Surface Pro 4 with a Core M processor that supports connected standby. Not sure if I should have waited to buy the Surface Pro 4 Core M since it is a lot more money than the Surface 3 despite the performance gains.

Anyone here think there's going to be a Surface 4 (Non-Pro) release at all?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't see the SP4 core M as being a replacement. SP4 form factor just cannot compete with the size of the S3 for convenience and tablet use.

I personally feel like they will continue and release an S4. It appears to me from my own experience that this is device that students are buying because of cost, and not the SP3. 90% of students need nothing more than office and youtube, it's pretty hard to justify to that market why they should go and buy a professional class machine for a third more.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I certainly hope there will be, the SP4 core m is not in the same size & weight class as the Surface 3 and users will not be pleased.

IDK if Atom is the only answer for the non-Pro line, I think not and I do not see anything wrong with offering a core m in the 10.8" form factor. Maybe if Intel can really come through and increase the performance level of the next Atom SoC but there is a BIG gap between Atom's top end and the lowest Core processors.

jrioux

I agree that there should be an S4 with a Core M processor that is smaller cheaper than the SP4. Maybe it could be a third option after the two current Atom versions. There are now much cheaper alternatives to the S3 with Atom chips, so I think it will be harder to keep the $500+ price point. Perhaps the current S3s should drop in price and a Core M option with 4GB and 128GB should slide in at $600 or at most $700?

For comparison, the Toshiba Click 10 with keyboard and 64 GB is only $369 and the Dell Venue 10 Pro 5000 with keyboard and 32 GB is only $329. However, they both have less powerful old Atom chips. The Dell Venue 11 Pro 7000 plus keyboard is $749 with the old Core M chip and only 64 GB of storage.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I don't see them doing that as it would cannibalize the SP4 Core M3 SKU. The non-Pro devices are designed as companion devices...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't see them doing that as it would cannibalize the SP4 Core M3 SKU. The non-Pro devices are designed as companion devices...
We can disagree on that :)
In general I think the buyer looking for a smaller lighter device isn't likely to buy the larger heavier Pro device. To me it's just a performance option for Surface 3 customers and would most likely eat away iPad sales.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
We can disagree on that :)
In general I think the buyer looking for a smaller lighter device isn't likely to buy the larger heavier Pro device. To me it's just a performance option for Surface 3 customers and would most likely eat away iPad sales.
I'm just going by what I know....The Surface does exactly what Panos and team wants it do...be it the Surface, the Pro and now the Book: The target is Apple:

Surface vs. iPad Air

Pro vs. MacBook Air and iPad (Pro)

Book vs. MacBook Pro and iPad (Pro)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm just going by what I know....The Surface does exactly what Panos and team wants it do...be it the Surface, the Pro and now the Book: The target is Apple:

Surface vs. iPad Air

Pro vs. MacBook Air and iPad (Pro)

Book vs. MacBook Pro and iPad (Pro)
I get that, I think the core m SP4 is the potential iPad Pro killer but a core m 10.8" option could be very attractive alternative to the iPad Pro especially for the not convinced they want the large monster pad but want pen support and real keyboard/mouse functionality. Additionally a core m 10.8" Surface would smoke the pad air on performance besides all the other benefits. In short, a very strong competitor right in the heart of the fat part of the market and yeah, knocks any Android on it's keister too. :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I get that, I think the core m SP4 is the potential iPad Pro killer but a core m 10.8" option could be very attractive alternative to the iPad Pro especially for the not convinced they want the large monster pad but want pen support and real keyboard/mouse functionality. Additionally a core m 10.8" Surface would smoke the pad air on performance besides all the other benefits. In short, a very strong competitor right in the heart of the fat part of the market and yeah, knocks any Android on it's keister too. :)
SP4 is the iPad Pro Killer all the way around....and the ATOM Surface 3 already competes with both the iPad Air and potential iPad Pro users...

zhenya

I think the big problem of getting Core-M into the S4 is the cost. IIRC, the per-unit chip cost is something like $25 for the Atom vs. $200 for the Core-M.

jrioux

I think the big problem of getting Core-M into the S4 is the cost. IIRC, the per-unit chip cost is something like $25 for the Atom vs. $200 for the Core-M.
So, a Core-M S4 would need to cost $800? That might be too close to the SP4.