What's new

Surface 3 Unable to Connect to Home Router for Wifi

Big Duck

Hi all, I recently purchased a Surface 3 and after all the excitement of I'll be do with this tablet/laptop, I seem to have stumbled upon an obstacle and that would be connecting to my Router to access the Internet. Particularly, when I type in the correct network security key, it says it is incorrect. I have tried a public network like at Mcdonald's but it seems only at home, there is a problem.

It is a new Surface 3 purchased two days ago and my router is a N300 Wireless Router so any help would be appreciated.

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

If you are using WEP security on the WiFi change it to WPA and power cycle the router.

malberttoo

Hi all, I recently purchased a Surface 3 and after all the excitement of I'll be do with this tablet/laptop, I seem to have stumbled upon an obstacle and that would be connecting to my Router to access the Internet. Particularly, when I type in the correct network security key, it says it is incorrect. I have tried a public network like at Mcdonald's but it seems only at home, there is a problem.

It is a new Surface 3 purchased two days ago and my router is a N300 Wireless Router so any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum!

How old is the router, have you checked if there are any firmware updates available for it?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try to see if there's a firmware update available for your router

Ah, it looks like I'm slow today :)

OP
Big Duck

Big Duck

Welcome to the forum!

How old is the router, have you checked if there are any firmware updates available for it?
The router was purchased 10 months ago and there are perhaps 2 firmware updates but my laptop, my OnePlus, and my Xbox can connect just fine

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
If it is possibly relevant, every device in this house connects to our bt homehub 3, but the surface 3 just will not do it.

leeshor

WPA2 should work.Would it be possible to momentarily disable the security to see if that allows you to connect?

I assume you aren't using any special characters?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
What happens if you give your Surface 3 a static IP such as 192.168.1.200/24 (assuming you've left the default configuration)?

OP
Big Duck

Big Duck

I've just given my router a firmware update and unfortunately, still giving me no access to the network. After this, I am just going to assume my Surface 3 is incompatible with the Netgear N300 Router