What's new

Surface 3... what do you want!?

SEANT

Hehe, I've figured out a way to deal with those on touch.

Care to share?

Hover plays a huge role in legacy apps, particularly CAD and Illustration programs; "Precision pointing" in just about any app you can think of.

My guess is that the x86/x64 developers will need almost a decade to make a complete switch. I'd also guess that this generation of devises will have a life expectancy of only a couple of years. Some of the hardware/software implementations should account for the crossover.

ChemCat

Before I tell you, can you link me to a few places that require hovering the cursor over. I figured out a way to get it working when I had to use the USPS website. Not sure it will work for every site.

ChemCat

Well, I wouldn't describe it as deficient. Touch is different from a mouse, just like how a mouse is different from a keyboard. For example, by describing something different from something else as deficient, you could describe the mouse as pretty deficient because you can't type fast with it.

That said, I have solved some hovering problems by tab and hold the place where you're suppose to hover the cursor. So far, it's worked to a certain extent. Not saying it's a perfect solution, but it's good enough for me.

It's only a matter of time before websites transition to touch optimized interfaces.

SEANT

Well, I wouldn't describe it as deficient. . . . .

There is not much sense in arguing definitions. I do think it safe to say, though, that certain developmental efforts assigned a great deal of importance to “hover”. As it stands, that feature is unavailable to a touch only interaction.

It's only a matter of time before websites transition to touch optimized interfaces.

I agree with that statement. It raises an interesting dilemma for Microsoft:

1. Require all the third party developers to sort it out, with the possible pitfall that, in the interim, a lot of potential mobile customers find touch only too frustrating to consider.

2. Commit their own resources ($$$), hopefully with an accelerated adoption of a Microsoft based mobile solutions.

JustAGuy

I just tried to see if the Surface Pro 2 camera or video recorder can zoom in or out like a regular camera on a tablet or phone and it does not have any capabilities for this. This would be a more perfect fit for students if this was allowed. Scenario: sitting at my desk in class with a really hard instructor and need to capture every word he says and also need to zoom in on the board for what he writes as well as periodically take pictures while video recording the whole lecture. Also I would be in split screen mode so I can take additional notes to help myself to follow the instructor's class. I am finding that besides other bugs still in the Surface Pro 2 like with using the stylus or changing to my finger, in the store models, I cannot do this. If I use the stylus, it doesn't read my finger anymore in the paint software already that comes in the Windows software. These issues would make this item the perfect choice for students but they still need to work on a storage compartment for the stylus, the same way Lenovo's ThinkPad yoga is. I know theres is more of a business laptop/tablet and I love their model too but too pricey right now to buy with stylus. I am thinking of buying it through Costco.com to get it without digitizer pen and get the surface pro 3 when it comes out, if they add the camera/video recorder/ zoom in and out functionality. they should also make it much easier to open the split screen by simply adding this setting perhaps when you swipe from right to left on the right side settings or even if you swipe down to up on the bottom of the tablet.

Also, they Microsoft should not be soo CHEAP and giver students a real 10% off. Not just on a surface model of choice, but also on accessories anytime they purchase accessories. They also don't let students use the 10% off on a surface of choice and get a bundle deal. That is so ridiculously absurd that they do not allow this. I mean, for crying out loud, they are already making people purchase a keyboard which is another ridiculous thing. At least give a touch cover 2 with backlighting for free with it and keep the type 2 cover as an additional accessory to buy if you want that since I assume that is most popular. I know I prefer it but in all reality, they should give you the keyboard of choice free with the purchase of a surface pro 2 8 GB ram, 256 SSD or 512 SSD models.

I also don't know why they wont give the surface 2 the ability to have stylus pen. that would come handy for my kids who like to color and draw but don't need to use a surface pro model to do it. this keeps down cost for those who need that functionality but not the pro features.

Get rid of surface rt and have surface tablet models, 2,3,4 etc as more models come out and add stylus that way I can buy one for my 2 yr old and 5 yr old so they can color and draw on the paint program or any other programs that might be out there to purchase or for free.

Cost on the Surface Pro 2 512 gb, make this model only $100 more than the already HUGE cost of the Surface Pro 2 with 256 SSD. I personally don't think the Surface Pro 2 is still up to good standards with all the glitches worked out completely so they should really give better pricing. If keeping these prices, they sheesh, ADD the KEYBOARD (of choice) with the surface of choice. Too many things not included for the huge price Microsoft wants to have. That is why they will never reach peak sales that would really blow the minds of others in this industry.

Either work with student pricing or keep competing with the MacBook Pro that students love to buy from Apple. Their products have minimal issues with battery life and pretty consistent as well as all the gripes people complain about. And those always seem to be very few because people also need a good reliable product but also something great for all day school purposes and in between school internet browsing, or game playing online.