What's new

Surface 3... what do you want!?

CrippsCorner

Probably too early to be discussing this! But alas... can you think of improvements you'd wanna see on the next models?

New sizes? Personally the 'Mini' wouldn't really hold much interest for me, but I could see a small increase of up to maybe 13" or just over. Any bigger though and it won't fit on it's dedicated desk space!

Thinner and lighter is pretty obvious, everyone always wants that. As mine is mostly docked it's not a big deal but I wouldn't mind seeing fan-less, if they can continue to have as much power. My Surface Pro feels like it's going to take off each time the screensaver comes on.

This maybe a bit more left-field but I wouldn't mind seeing inductive charging. I now only have two cables connected to my Surface... HDMI and the power cable. Hopefully one day soon Miracast will be good enough to rid of one of those, and if I could literally just place the Surface on to a mat to charge it, that'd be amazing! I'd never have to plug anything in again :)

D1vad

I'd like to see a power users version with an i7 chip, and dedicated graphics. And as long as I'm dreaming I'd like to see user replaceable drive and a swappable battery! I'm sooty but I've never been happy with the concept that a computer should be pitch when it's battery dies.

deldalton

Probably too early to be discussing this! But alas... can you think of improvements you'd wanna see on the next models?

New sizes? Personally the 'Mini' wouldn't really hold much interest for me, but I could see a small increase of up to maybe 13" or just over. Any bigger though and it won't fit on it's dedicated desk space!

Thinner and lighter is pretty obvious, everyone always wants that. As mine is mostly docked it's not a big deal but I wouldn't mind seeing fan-less, if they can continue to have as much power. My Surface Pro feels like it's going to take off each time the screensaver comes on.

This maybe a bit more left-field but I wouldn't mind seeing inductive charging. I now only have two cables connected to my Surface... HDMI and the power cable. Hopefully one day soon Miracast will be good enough to rid of one of those, and if I could literally just place the Surface on to a mat to charge it, that'd be amazing! I'd never have to plug anything in again :)

I would consider a larger device. That is, a larger screen. I would only consider this, however, if the device was lighter. I use the device primarily as a tablet. There's the possibility that a wider and taller device may be harder to balance if the weight was not reduced. But, without the device sitting in front of me I really don't know.

Thinner and lighter is obvious. But, I actually quite like the depth of my Surface Pro 2.

I can't say I've ever heard my fans come on yet. Hopefully that's a good thing and not because they're broken ... ;)

I'm hoping to adopt a PTV device soon but that would be a major luxury. I don't need an external monitor but it could be cool.

Inductive charging would be great. What I'd really like to see is completely wireless power. No mat required. Just plug in a wireless adaptor into the mains socket and it pumps power, wirelessly through the air, to my device. I guess, inductive would do though ...

I'd like to see a power users version with an i7 chip, and dedicated graphics. And as long as I'm dreaming I'd like to see user replaceable drive and a swappable battery! I'm sooty but I've never been happy with the concept that a computer should be pitch when it's battery dies.

An i7 chip and dedicated graphics would be brilliant! And, I'll definitely buy that one!

Replaceable components are another feature I'd definitely like to see.

By Surface 3 you obviously mean Surface Pro 3, right?

The Surface Pro 2 is brilliant. But, as D1vad has suggested, as long as we're dreaming ... I'd like to see all of the developers make Windows 8 native apps that work perfectly for any scenario so that I no longer need to use Desktop apps. In which case, they'd never need a Pro (other than for domain connectivity etc.)

TheJokker

I'm going to go against the grain and say I'd like it bigger and thicker and heavier. In order to run an i7 with a dedicated graphics card some provision must be made for cooling. That means accommodating a bigger heat sink.

I hunger for more power, Power, Power!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I would want the Surface 3 to be a 64bit ARM SoC with Active Stylus and no legacy support (Office Gemini).

kristalsoldier

I would want the Surface 3 to be a 64bit ARM SoC with Active Stylus and no legacy support (Office Gemini).

This, but after about 18 months. During these 18 months, I'd rather MS further optimized Win RT and the hardware; released Office Gemini; and further optimized the battery.

With Surface 3 (and I am only referring to the RT version), I would also like a further improved screen but with better battery efficiency. Weight reduction would be a bonus too - but that said, I am quite happy with the current weight and profile of the Surface 2.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
This, but after about 18 months. During these 18 months, I'd rather MS further optimized Win RT and the hardware; released Office Gemini; and further optimized the battery.

With Surface 3 (and I am only referring to the RT version), I would also like a further improved screen but with better battery efficiency. Weight reduction would be a bonus too - but that said, I am quite happy with the current weight and profile of the Surface 2.

Completely Agree....we will see the next major bump in Q2 C2014 (Jan-Dec) or in MS Speak in Q4 FY2014 (July-June), if the Gemini predictions remain true and the Phone Blue Update is released, this will bring API Parity between Windows 8.1 and Phone 8.1 to 77% and there is a rumored update for 8.1 during this time as well...

oion

*twitch*

I can't let go of the MDI option; making Metro default and disabling MDI through a registry tweak or something would be fine, but as long as power-users like myself have access to MDI/desktop, that'd be great... I mean, MS still hasn't properly metro-ized the admin tools, right?

I don't care about the active stylus, but if MS stays with the NVidia Tegra line for future Surface RT models, enabling DirectStylus would be a good idea.

Otherwise, I don't have much to add because the Surface 2 is perfect for me, and the obvious upgrades are just speed and battery life while keeping the form factor. The only possible hardware "improvement" I can think of is some super-innovative-patented kickstand engineering that allows both horizontal and vertical use.

I would also like a further improved screen

How could it be improved?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Modern UI lends itself much more to higher PPI screens, MDI is becoming more and more useless on a high res screens, 1080p at 200% is a 720p in reality.

The Modern UI lends itself much more to higher PPI screens, MDI is becoming more and more useless on a high res screens, 1080p at 200% is a 720p in reality.
That's odd, I was thinking the opposite... That the MUI is better suited to low PPI screens. Modern UI apps have so little content on the screen that it can't really exploit a high PPI screen.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Specifically... high PPI Screens with MDI need to be scaled to at least 150% to be useful wasting the extra real estate where the Modern UI is designed to scale.