What's new

Surface 3... what do you want!?

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

As for other related Surface products... probably going to be on my own here but I'd love to see an official Microsoft desktop PC or just monitor that I could plug in externally. With Miracast built in. Oh my.

Also, I wanna see a new version of the dock with built in SSD!

LuckyL

I'm actually very happy with the form factor, having said that I would like to see the following improvements:

- second USB port left hand side (there is enough space left)
- additional HDMI out right hand side (again, there is enough space)
- serviceable battery (!)
- somewhere to safely store the pen
- more scratch resilient finish
- dock with multiple monitor connectors and faster Ethernet
- GPS

On the software side, this should be made available for current versions too:

- double-tap drag on the cover's touchpad
- separate DPI scaling for external/internal screen

Nuspieds

I demand ;) the following:

1) A real docking station with more USB 3.0 ports and a Gigabit Ethernet port
2) Virtual keyboard functionality at boot/BIOS mode
3) Windows 8.x, where x > 1
4) Storage compartment for the stylus

Looking further down the road:

1) Integrated biometric support (fingerprint reader like on the iPhone 5s, for example).

Saftis

For both:
Magnetic lock on the keyboards.
Touch-optimized Office Gemini.
A bit more solid feeling to the power and volume buttons.

For the RT:
Ipad air-level weight.

For the Pro:
Fanless, slimmer and lighter design
TB2 (or equivalent) eGPU.

ARosch

RT:
Active Digitizer is a must for me.
Another USB Port would be super handy.
Full Size HDMI out would be great
GPS
Starting Price of $350 with keyboard

Pro:
Thinner and Lighter of Course
The mentioned i7 with dedicated graphics would be cool, but not a must.

With a lower price for the RT like I mentioned, I think this would allow room for a third Surface model. Perhaps a Surface running Baytrail that starts at $500 would be a great addition to the product line.

oion

LOL. Oh, people can really dream, I guess, since this is a pure speculation "out there" thread.

For the RT line, I want it to have a 20-hour battery life in mixed use with wifi. It should also be no more than $200 with keyboard and weigh no more than 1lb. Of course.

(P.S.: Microsoft would not survive a race to the bottom against all their partner manufacturers, IMO.)

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

I met up with my cousin and his girlfriend this last weekend and they were talking about tablets... I mentioned the Surface and she said, "I don't like that as it's too heavy and bulky" :( so I guess on the general consumer front at least, they definitely need to work on that most!

kristalsoldier

I met up with my cousin and his girlfriend this last weekend and they were talking about tablets... I mentioned the Surface and she said, "I don't like that as it's too heavy and bulky" :( so I guess on the general consumer front at least, they definitely need to work on that most!

Which Surface was she referring to? Obviously not Surface 2 as its weight would be comparable to the iPad 4.

oion

A few of the (Mac-biased, I'm sure) pundits and other reviewers have commented that it's "heavier," although it's entirely psychological. You have the beveled edges that some people believe make the first gen Surface tablet thicker (it's not), the longer length, the "weightier" black color (I'm not kidding)...

You can't beat the ignorant consumer who gets information from ignorant sources or is easily led astray by hearsay, unfortunately. :)