What's new

Surface 3 won't wake up from sleep since Windows 10 upgrade

paulbear

Since I upgraded my Surface 3 [Atom processor] to Windows 10, I been having this problem: as soon as it goes to sleep, I can't get it to wake up. This happens both with the type cover attached and without [in tablet mode]. I've ensured that the latest firmware updates are in place and all the Windows 10 updates have been done.
The only way I can get the Surface 3 to come back on is to hold down the power button for over 30 seconds.
I've even stopped the PC from turning off the screen or going to sleep in the power settings to reduce the times I have to hard boot the Surface.

I'd be really grateful if anyone could suggest any solutions or things to try to get over this problem/issue.

Regards
Paul

malberttoo

Since I upgraded my Surface 3 [Atom processor] to Windows 10, I been having this problem: as soon as it goes to sleep, I can't get it to wake up. This happens both with the type cover attached and without [in tablet mode]. I've ensured that the latest firmware updates are in place and all the Windows 10 updates have been done.
The only way I can get the Surface 3 to come back on is to hold down the power button for over 30 seconds.
I've even stopped the PC from turning off the screen or going to sleep in the power settings to reduce the times I have to hard boot the Surface.

I'd be really grateful if anyone could suggest any solutions or things to try to get over this problem/issue.

Regards
Paul

Hi Paul, welcome.

Is there anything interesting in the event logs?

OP
P

paulbear

Hi
I'm still getting this issue too, and in some ways I'm glad I'm not alone. I've not found a solution yet. Though if I put the S3 to sleep manually [pressing the power button briefly], then usually it will power back up by pressing the power button again. But if it goes to sleep on its own, then I can't wake it up other than by pressing the power button for over 30 seconds, when it has to do a complete re-start. I just hope that I'm not corrupting any files in the process. Fingers crossed a solution will be found soon.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Id reinstall (Refresh in W8.1), not sure if we're still calling it that in 10...
Logically; perhaps reinstalling the power management drivers might work but I don't really know if you can do that and it might be something else.

itencate

Just wanted to add that I think I'm seeing this issue too; upgraded to Windows 10 from a very newly received Surface 3; since then I've seen this issue repeatedly (tablet sleeps, can't boot, vibrates on Windows button). Even when the button vibration is occurring the tablet can no longer be pinged at its address on the network.

wapensfan

Same issues here. Come back after locking, and half the time my power button wakes up the Surface, and half the time the Surface needs to reboot to get me back in. All power settings are set to not sleep at all when plugged into power.

leschaserables

Not sure if this thread is still active or if there is already a solution, but I found that rolling back the display adapter driver, restarting, using it for a little while, and updating the driver (use "look for driver in computer" and type "C:\" in the file path), and a final restart seemed to help.