What's new

Surface and stylus

joga

Hi,

I bought a stylus 2 days ago. Its a bamboo stylus duo. Feels very good, fits perfectly into my hand.

My plan was to use it to make quick notes in pdf files, or to quickly make notes in any office document. Unfortunately it doesnt work very well, so my stylus is more or less useless. I may ship it back.

I had a Samsung Ativ Smart PC for 2 weeks. The Samsung comes with a digitizer stylus. That was awesome. I used the digitizer every day. Making notes in any document was very easy and it worked perfectly.

I am curious to know what you are doing with your stylus on your RT device.

Do you have a stylus?
Which stylis do you have?
What are you doing with your stylus?

Joga

bosamar

I never tried one on my RT but I know the Pro version ships with one. Has something to do with the RT 5-point and Pro 10-point multi-touch screen difference.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Ativ has an Active Digitizer as does the upcoming Surface Pro. The Active Digitizer and Stylus create a closed loop circuit that track the axis very accurately. The Surface RT and other Touch only do not have the Active Digitizer so the experience will be very different. I use an Adonit Jot Pro with my Surface RT and if I'm doing a lot of inking I wear a Smudge Guard to get some level of palm rejection. The combo gives me a decent inking experience, at least on par with the N-trig Active Digitizer on the HP Slate 500.

OP
J

joga

Aw: Surface and stylus

Does anyone know how i can add notes to a pdf file open with adobe reader?

R0bR

There's Note Anytime App which seems pretty good although I don't have a stylus to test with. You can import PDFs to mark up but I haven't figured out how to export them back out, if it's even possible. What I don't get with the stylus is why are they so fat tipped, I would think something half the size would make it easier to work with.

Mr.NK

Super Moderator

Problem is, that the touchscreen needs at least some size to register the pen as input - so anything smaller wouldn't be recognized properly. The smallest and ball-point-like experience you can get without an active digitizer is an Adonit Jot-Series. There was also a big test of pens for iPad at The Verge which was really useful to find out, what I could be needing. I bought me a Hama Flex, which has some sort of cloth-made tip, because rubber didn't seemed to last for an acceptable while and the jot had some user-reports about scratches and loosing their 'disc'.

As for taking notes on pdf there's an app called pdf-touch, which supports note taking and -highlighting (and also seemed to be a better option for big multi-layered pdfs, like network-maps.)

Last edited:
OP
J

joga

Whats the different between the bamboo and your captive pen?
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

J515OP

Super Moderator
Whats the different between the bamboo and your captive pen?
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

The bamboo sounds like it is a digitized pen which requires a special digitizer layer for the accuracy. Capacitive is made for finger touches and is less accurate. Without the digitizer it will be even less accurate on a capacitive screen than a fat tipped capacitive stylus.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Both of those stylus uses the wide rubber tip, the Adonit Jot Pro uses a metal ball on a transparent plastic disk that offers much better experience.