What's new

Surface as second screen not working

bPatrik

Hi,

Iam trying to connect my PC to my Surface to use the SP as an extended screen but the PC cant see it.

They are both on the same network. The PC is wired and according to the DXDIAG file it does support miracast and it already worked with a smart TV (however the TV is also wired). All updates are installed on both computers, both running Win10.

Any idea?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,

Iam trying to connect my PC to my Surface to use the SP as an extended screen but the PC cant see it.

They are both on the same network. The PC is wired and according to the DXDIAG file it does support miracast and it already worked with a smart TV (however the TV is also wired). All updates are installed on both computers, both running Win10.

Any idea?
I'm assuming this is using the Connect App...if that is true, the desktop would need a wireless adapter as it uses WiFi Direct to make the connection.

OP
B

bPatrik

Yes, i've tried it from the Action center>connect. I saw this video where a guy does what i wanted with his PC and SP and wanted to do tha same:
...so he "forgot" to tell us his PC is on wifi? It looks like.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, i've tried it from the Action center>connect. I saw this video where a guy does what i wanted with his PC and SP and wanted to do tha same:
...so he "forgot" to tell us his PC is on wifi? It looks like.
I do the same with HTPC connected to my living room TV - the desktop will need a wireless card that supports WiFi Direct. What is the current WLAN Card in the desktop? It would minimally need to support Wireless "N" or better "AC".