What's new

iznim

Basically, it goes something like this: the surface book 2 has two graphics processors to choose from. One is the gtx 1060 and the other is intel integrated 620. The problems occur when the laptop chooses the intel integrated 620 for things like web browsing and streaming media.

The first major problem I see is that the video playback is often pretty jittery if you are watching the content in full screen. The only cause for this that I can think of is that the iGPU is not powerful enough to handle playing media at the full resolution of the screen without there being any stuttering.

The second, and much more annoying, problem is that when you go into full screen mode, the integrated graphics driver decides to adjust the contrast of the image, which causes the image to become over saturated. Someone suggested that I try to get rid of this by using the intel control center, but by changing the auto-contrast, battery life, and color range in this control center, you are only able to slightly change the issue so that the image becomes under saturated in full screen mode. This is pretty annoying because it means that anytime you are watching something in full screen and accidentally move your mouse or use the arrow keys to move forward or backward, the color of whatever your watching will go through different contrast modes and flicker while doing it. For example, if I am watching a youtube video in full screen and press my arrow key forward the screen will instantly become less saturated when the UI appears and then when the UI fades it will snap back to being more saturated. This issue is really frustrating me because when watching a video out of full screen mode it doesn't happen at all, so it is only when the video is in full screen mode that the iGPU decides to mess with the contrast.

wynand32

Regarding the first problem, I'm not seeing any issues on my SB2 15. Full-screen video performs as expected no matter the video source.

I haven't noticed the second issue, but then again I haven't been looking for it. I'm very happy with how Netflix and Vudu video looks, but I can't say that I've compared it to anything. One question: is this when on battery only, or also while plugged in? Some people don't like Intel's dynamic contrast feature, which does what it sounds like you're seeing, but that's only when on battery. If that's you, then head to this link for information on how to turn it off:

Surface Book 2 (13" and 15", GTX 1050/1060) announced

Basically, it goes something like this: the surface book 2 has two graphics processors to choose from. One is the gtx 1060 and the other is intel integrated 620. The problems occur when the laptop chooses the intel integrated 620 for things like web browsing and streaming media.

The first major problem I see is that the video playback is often pretty jittery if you are watching the content in full screen. The only cause for this that I can think of is that the iGPU is not powerful enough to handle playing media at the full resolution of the screen without there being any stuttering.

The second, and much more annoying, problem is that when you go into full screen mode, the integrated graphics driver decides to adjust the contrast of the image, which causes the image to become over saturated. Someone suggested that I try to get rid of this by using the intel control center, but by changing the auto-contrast, battery life, and color range in this control center, you are only able to slightly change the issue so that the image becomes under saturated in full screen mode. This is pretty annoying because it means that anytime you are watching something in full screen and accidentally move your mouse or use the arrow keys to move forward or backward, the color of whatever your watching will go through different contrast modes and flicker while doing it. For example, if I am watching a youtube video in full screen and press my arrow key forward the screen will instantly become less saturated when the UI appears and then when the UI fades it will snap back to being more saturated. This issue is really frustrating me because when watching a video out of full screen mode it doesn't happen at all, so it is only when the video is in full screen mode that the iGPU decides to mess with the contrast.

Try to change the color profile to sRGB and see if that helps

OP
I

iznim

Regarding the first problem, I'm not seeing any issues on my SB2 15. Full-screen video performs as expected no matter the video source.

I haven't noticed the second issue, but then again I haven't been looking for it. I'm very happy with how Netflix and Vudu video looks, but I can't say that I've compared it to anything. One question: is this when on battery only, or also while plugged in? Some people don't like Intel's dynamic contrast feature, which does what it sounds like you're seeing, but that's only when on battery. If that's you, then head to this link for information on how to turn it off:

Surface Book 2 (13" and 15", GTX 1050/1060) announced
I tried following the registry edit that was suggested in that thread, but it didn't fix the issue. I think that it isn't working because the guy who figured that out did it for the 13 inch model so maybe the edit needs to be different for the 15" model. Also, I was wondering if you might do me a favor and see if you can replicate the issue on your sb2 because if its just a problem I am having, then maybe I got a bad one. To do this, the best thing you could do is to watch a video that has a lot of dark colors/blacks in it and then see if when in fullscreen the contrast changes when the UI fades away. If you look up "contrast test" on youtube the first result is pretty good for testing this.

Capture.PNG
How about changing the brightness to "brighter" instead of "suggested"?

wynand32

I tried following the registry edit that was suggested in that thread, but it didn't fix the issue. I think that it isn't working because the guy who figured that out did it for the 13 inch model so maybe the edit needs to be different for the 15" model. Also, I was wondering if you might do me a favor and see if you can replicate the issue on your sb2 because if its just a problem I am having, then maybe I got a bad one. To do this, the best thing you could do is to watch a video that has a lot of dark colors/blacks in it and then see if when in fullscreen the contrast changes when the UI fades away. If you look up "contrast test" on youtube the first result is pretty good for testing this.

I tried to replicate this on my SB2 15 using a few of the videos that came up on YouTube when I ran that search. I'm not seeing anything like you're describing here.

Last edited: