What's new

Surface Book 2 Likely Sports an AMD GPU

olsenn

The Nvidia GPU in the SB (slightly modified version of the GTX-940M has a 'Total Dissipated Power' (TDP) rating of 36 Watts. The next model up in the GTX-900 series, which is the GTX-950M has a TDP of 55 Watts. The GTX-1060M has a TDP of 85 Watts. No current generation Nvidia mobile GPU is suitable for the Microsoft ultrabook. Nvidia was willing to slightly modify one of their existing designs for the first SB, but I highly doubt they will engineer a new device from scratch for the second (it would cost too much).

Instead, I am expecting an AMD Radeon RX-480M GPU. It has a TDP of 35W and it is fabricated on a 14nm dye... it will be the best choice for any low-power laptop in 2017. It hasn't been released yet, but it has been announced and probably created.

Let's see

Cimmerian

The Nvidia GPU in the SB (slightly modified version of the GTX-940M has a 'Total Dissipated Power' (TDP) rating of 36 Watts. The next model up in the GTX-900 series, which is the GTX-950M has a TDP of 55 Watts. The GTX-1060M has a TDP of 85 Watts. No current generation Nvidia mobile GPU is suitable for the Microsoft ultrabook. Nvidia was willing to slightly modify one of their existing designs for the first SB, but I highly doubt they will engineer a new device from scratch for the second (it would cost too much).

Instead, I am expecting an AMD Radeon RX-480M GPU. It has a TDP of 35W and it is fabricated on a 14nm dye... it will be the best choice for any low-power laptop in 2017. It hasn't been released yet, but it has been announced and probably created.

Let's see

I think you could be right but I still lean more towards the 1060, they just released a new performance base for the Surface Book with the GTX 965m which has 60w TDP. I think they could work with Nvidia to make a slightly custom 1060 for the SB2 and I think that is what will happen, could be wrong.