What's new

Surface Book 2 Pen issue

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Updtate: 4/26/19

Well I got the newer pen (the one with no clip and one long oval button). It worked for a while. THen today, I brought it out and it doesn't work again. It may be the battery. I wished there was a battery indicator somewhere. What I'm finding is that I can't depend on this thing. If I go into an important meeting, I can't rely on this thing to work 100%. So rather than bringing my SurfaceBook, I bring a regular notepad. It's a shame. This BT technology is not 100% reliable. The pen with battery should last 6 months...not 1 month. They still haven't perfected this yet. Someday I hope get their SH_T together and make a pen that just works...just like the WACOM pens on my Samsung Notes.
Under Settings ----> Devices ------>Bluetooth and other Devices ------> It will show battery life of connected devices using a battery to power it

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Updtate: 4/26/19

Well I got the newer pen (the one with no clip and one long oval button). It worked for a while. THen today, I brought it out and it doesn't work again. It may be the battery. I wished there was a battery indicator somewhere. What I'm finding is that I can't depend on this thing. If I go into an important meeting, I can't rely on this thing to work 100%. So rather than bringing my SurfaceBook, I bring a regular notepad. It's a shame. This BT technology is not 100% reliable. The pen with battery should last 6 months...not 1 month. They still haven't perfected this yet. Someday I hope get their SH_T together and make a pen that just works...just like the WACOM pens on my Samsung Notes.

Under your Bluetooth Devices in Settings - is the battery level indicated there? I'm not near my computer, but if memory serves me correctly - the battery levels of each Bluetooth Device(s) is listed.

Additionally, for further troubleshooting avenues - I read somewhere that the Surface pen can be 'reset' by pressing/holding both buttons for 15+ seconds or until the light blinks. Remove the Surface Pen from your BT Device list & re-pair. I threw a 4 pack of the AAAA Batteries in my PC bag along with extra pen tips (nubs) to be able to circumvent any pen issues.

You are correct though, for the prices we pay for these devices - we shouldn't have annoying issues galore.

OP
G

Gizmo2005

The battery level use to be in there because I remember seeing it. But it's no longer there since I've done updates. When you click on BT and other devices, all it shows are the devices paired to it. In my case, it's 2.4g keyboard mouse, SD card, and Surface Pen. No battery indicator.