What's new

Surface Book 2 - will you buy/upgrade?

flar

The discussion of the actual announcement of the new hardware is in the news forum here:

Microsoft Announces the Surface Book 2 - 13" and 15" versions

I wanted to start a thread from the perspective of current owners (or even people currently on the fence over getting the current SB) and whether they will be buying one of the new models, which model you are coming from and which new config you might get.

I'll include my own thoughts in a reply.

OP
F

flar

My own thoughts...

I currently have a first generation (non-performance-base) SB i7/16G/512G/dGPU. I was tempted to get the new version with the Performance Base, but it wasn't enough of an upgrade to pull the trigger. I was hoping for a faster SSD along with the upgrade - time will tell if the new SB2 models have a newer SSD version.

I will probably get the new 15" 16/512 model for the 1060, but I need to do some research as my current 13.5" screen has been fine for me so far and I could save a bit getting the 13.5" 16/512 model. I'd also consider the 15" 8/256, but really would prefer to have 16G RAM for running Adobe CC.

Cimmerian

I definitely need 16gb of RAM, and the 1050 vs 1060 does it for me, I may even prefer the smaller form factor but the 1060 is a beast. SSD is quick enough for me currently so if it's any faster that's cool. Wish the 512gb 15" was more around $2500 but I can figure it out.

Currently have the 1tb with dGPU, was worried a second one was never coming, glad it has.

OP
F

flar

One odd thing in the specs that had my hopes up - actually a difference of opinion. The "specs" page only lists a 16GB memory config for the 15", but the configurations list an 8GB low end model. I was hoping to be able to go with the minimal 15" config if it came with the i7+16GB as standard, but based on the configs I would likely upgrade to the 16/512 model.

On the other hand, my current 512 model, though less than half full, is full enough that I'd be running a 256 model at 70-80% full - so it would be better to get the 512 model anyway just to ensure that the SSD keeps a comfortable amount of free space for performance stability.

Cimmerian

I originally purchased the 1tb for music composition, plugins take up about 700gb's but after my Book couldn't really handle all the plugins (performance related) I just upgraded my PC with a 7900X and 32gb of RAM. My dreams of a super portable performance heavy machine were just unrealistic, I'll only need the 512gb this time around.

I too could probably do the 256gb if it had 16gb of ram, but there is something discomforting about hovering in the 80-90% storage filled, best go with the 512gb.

I must admit that I want the 1060 for portable gaming, although it will be great for Premiere and Photoshop too.

Last edited:

BearFlag

Upgrade? No. In fact I'm going to jump ship from the SB line.

I bought the i5 256GB dGPU SB in Dec 2015 for around $1800. I've been generally pleased with it (especially typing experience and 3:2 aspect ratio. However, while I do flip my SB around and use it in Stand Mode, I hardly ever use it as a tablet. So I feel like I'm paying extra for something I don't use, and feel that a yoga laptop form factor would work just as well for me.

I had high hopes for the SB2, but it seems that they basically just upgraded the processor and GPU (no form factor changes) in the 13" model, and charging at least $2000 for a 8th gen processor. Therefore I'm seriously giving the hp spectre x360 consideration, especially the 15" model. I get an 8th processor, pen input, yoga form factor and a dGPU that's better than my current SB all for less than $1400.

I will miss the 3:2 aspect ratio though.

Cimmerian

Unlike previous M GPUs 10 series "mobile" GPUs are actually just desktop variants with lower clock speeds, that's why it shows 50% higher than a "normal" GTX 1050ti. Looks like it benches 20% less than a desktop 1060 but that is likely closer to a 10% delta considering that scores are based on overclocked desktop cards.

Last edited:

Cimmerian

Upgrade? No. In fact I'm going to jump ship from the SB line.

I bought the i5 256GB dGPU SB in Dec 2015 for around $1800. I've been generally pleased with it (especially typing experience and 3:2 aspect ratio. However, while I do flip my SB around and use it in Stand Mode, I hardly ever use it as a tablet. So I feel like I'm paying extra for something I don't use, and feel that a yoga laptop form factor would work just as well for me.

I had high hopes for the SB2, but it seems that they basically just upgraded the processor and GPU (no form factor changes) in the 13" model, and charging at least $2000 for a 8th gen processor. Therefore I'm seriously giving the hp spectre x360 consideration, especially the 15" model. I get an 8th processor, pen input, yoga form factor and a dGPU that's better than my current SB all for less than $1400.

I will miss the 3:2 aspect ratio though.

I can understand that, I was considering leaving until they finally announced the 2, been so long. But unlike many others I actually use the fully detachable screen often, and like you, love the 3:2 ratio. The premium is a bit ridiculous for sure.

Megoapesnut

No pen is bundled with any of the models. You need to purchase that separately. Sneaky sods

*edited by hughlle to replace profanity (though I agree with the sentiment ;))

Last edited by a moderator:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd really love one, gaming and inking! At the prices they're after, it's just way out of my league. I could afford one, but I could spend my money more wisely, as nice as the SB may be.