What's new

Surface Book 3 still possible?

flar

I love my original SB and have been tempted over the years to get the performance base or the 2, but it serves my purpose pretty well. I'd love to have more power for development, and maybe better graphics for the road, but it isn't my primary development machine. I've also been hoping over time that they would upgrade the storage to faster parts, but that doesn't seem to be happening over 4 years in.

The 2 came out when I was between jobs so I thought it an unimportant luxury to upgrade to it, but now that I'm gainfully employed I've been looking at possible upgrades again.

Last month they had some really big sales on the SB2 and I was tempted again to upgrade, but it seemed like it was likely to be a pre-announcement sales promotion designed to clear out the inventory of an "old model".

Today they announced several surface devices, including some that won't ship until next year, but no update on a new SB. My crystal ball appears to be way out of whack.

What are people's thoughts on the possibility that there is still an SB3 coming, but they just didn't announce it at this particular event? Is that out of the question now?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd speculate it's probably still coming sometime next year... April-June ish.

My crystal ball cracked though and I have to use my eight ball.

Wayne Orwig

I am surprised too.
I have an original SB1. It is doing fine. But I would like to bump up to a 15". I am hoping for a bit more SSD, speed, battery. You know, just want a bit more after years and years. Though my SB1 still performs well.

There have been some price drops of the SB2, so I really expected there to be a reason for that. I was a really surprised when they announced a couple of devices that will not be ready for OVER a year, yet no new SB.

I'm not sure what to do now.

OP
F

flar

I am surprised too.
I have an original SB1. It is doing fine. But I would like to bump up to a 15". I am hoping for a bit more SSD, speed, battery. You know, just want a bit more after years and years. Though my SB1 still performs well.

There have been some price drops of the SB2, so I really expected there to be a reason for that. I was a really surprised when they announced a couple of devices that will not be ready for OVER a year, yet no new SB.

I'm not sure what to do now.
It sounds like we are on exactly the same page...

Jakob Hviid

I reckon some was expecting a SB3 here at the recent MS-fall event but no dice and was sadly not in the cards.
Are new too Surface Book and I really not saw it as an purchase option that made sense as the prices gets even more insane here in Scandinavia after tax and another +25% VAT on top but huge european retail dealer was clearing stock, so both Book was sold at lucrative prices., .

I got 2 books now, one from Porsche and one from Microsoft' hence Surface Book2, though the Porsche Book is also somewhat from Microsoft according to Vice prez Peter Han from Microsoft, The Porsche Book was a product from 4 vendors.. Microsoft, Porsche, Intel and Quanta and Wacom on the side,
Quanta is the same who makes Apples new laptops, like MacbookPro, Ipad pro, it also Quanta that gonna make 2019 Mac Pro Tower, but they do make nice metalproducts and that was certainly also the case with Porsche Book.
Having the Porsche Book and SB2-i7-1050.. the hinge and finish on the Porsche Book is like a wet dream for anybody fascinating with metalwork and CNC work.
Wouldnt surprise me if Microsoft take a new approach to the fulcrum hinge with SB3..
Here Surface Book2 side by side with Porsche Book and the hinge and build.
SBOOK2 i7 GTX1050 13.5 / PORSCHE BOOK i7 16GB 512GB
-
Imgur

- Surface Laptop
SL vs PD Book (Design)
Im looking forward to see SB3, when it likely arrives in 2020.. and an OLED panel suited with an RTX2060 in SB3 base' would definitely be a good starting point imo, but mehh keep dreaming. ::p.

Last edited:
OP
F

flar

So Microsoft/Best Buy put a gun to my head today and made me buy a new SB2 15" 1TB. :( And I don't even know what I'll do with the extra $700 they didn't let me pay. They are sooooo mean!

These sales are getting ridiculous and it seems like they are dumping inventory. I'm worried that it is due to either the line getting discontinued or that new versions are on the near horizon, but I'll pretend they're just channeling their inner Santa Claus...

OP
F

flar

Hmmm...