What's new

Surface Book and Dock not projecting to extended monitor

abeman90

Hello and thanks for taking a look at my issue. Any input would be very appreciated.

The setup:
  • Surface Book: 256GB/Intel Core i7 - 8GB/ dGPU Nvidia.
  • Laptop is connected to a Surface Dock (Surface Dock)
  • 2 extended monitors: AOC i2267fw 22-inch LED Monitors (2)
  • The monitors have 1 VGA and 1 DVI-D
  • I have a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter cable connecting the monitor to the dock. (Adapter)
    • Each monitor is connected to its own DisplayPort on the dock statio
The Problem:
  • The monitors show up on the Display settings page (http://imgur.com/NZ3zldd)
  • When I select an extended monitor and select “detect”, I receive error, “Didn’t Detect Another Display”
  • Both monitors display “NO SIGNAL” and then go idle
  • When I plug in the dock, the computer screen goes black and refreshes displaying the extended monitor. The monitor however remains idle
Resolution attempts:
  • Restarted Computer/dock/monitors
  • Tried one extended monitor only, instead of two
  • Lowered resolution on Computer/monitors
  • Updated Drivers on monitors/computer
  • Rolled-back updates on Driver(s)
  • Re-installed updates on Drivers
  • Setting is on “DVI” on monitor(s)
  • “Disabled” Graphics card
  • When I called Geek Squad, he was unable to find a resolution. It is important to note that when he remote into my computer he saw 3 monitors (2 extended and 1 main) . He was unable to do anything on the extended monitors (move any windows), but he did see them on his screen. My monitor screens remained idle.

If you have any idea what can be faulty in this scenario, please let me know. I really appreciate all your help.

alanbrad

Hello and thanks for taking a look at my issue. Any input would be very appreciated.

The setup:
  • Surface Book: 256GB/Intel Core i7 - 8GB/ dGPU Nvidia.
  • Laptop is connected to a Surface Dock (Surface Dock)
  • 2 extended monitors: AOC i2267fw 22-inch LED Monitors (2)
  • The monitors have 1 VGA and 1 DVI-D
  • I have a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter cable connecting the monitor to the dock. (Adapter)
    • Each monitor is connected to its own DisplayPort on the dock statio
The Problem:
  • The monitors show up on the Display settings page (http://imgur.com/NZ3zldd)
  • When I select an extended monitor and select “detect”, I receive error, “Didn’t Detect Another Display”
  • Both monitors display “NO SIGNAL” and then go idle
  • When I plug in the dock, the computer screen goes black and refreshes displaying the extended monitor. The monitor however remains idle
Resolution attempts:
  • Restarted Computer/dock/monitors
  • Tried one extended monitor only, instead of two
  • Lowered resolution on Computer/monitors
  • Updated Drivers on monitors/computer
  • Rolled-back updates on Driver(s)
  • Re-installed updates on Drivers
  • Setting is on “DVI” on monitor(s)
  • “Disabled” Graphics card
  • When I called Geek Squad, he was unable to find a resolution. It is important to note that when he remote into my computer he saw 3 monitors (2 extended and 1 main) . He was unable to do anything on the extended monitors (move any windows), but he did see them on his screen. My monitor screens remained idle.

If you have any idea what can be faulty in this scenario, please let me know. I really appreciate all your help.
This seems to be a known issue. I have a very similar setup and have the exact problem. I have been in contact with Microsoft and they are also aware of the problem. My temporary solution is to remove the keyboard and connect the dock directly to the bottom of the screen. You will be able to extend and setup both of your monitors. They bad, you are not taking advantage of the dGPU this way. I am waiting to hear from Microsoft what the solution will be.

OP
A

abeman90

This seems to be a known issue. I have a very similar setup and have the exact problem. I have been in contact with Microsoft and they are also aware of the problem. My temporary solution is to remove the keyboard and connect the dock directly to the bottom of the screen. You will be able to extend and setup both of your monitors. They bad, you are not taking advantage of the dGPU this way. I am waiting to hear from Microsoft what the solution will be.

Thanks alanbrad. I contacted the Microsoft store. They are sending me a brand new dock. Best part is, I get to keep the old one (Ill return it to BestBuy and get my money back). So for the inconvenience im getting a free dock. I suggest you talk to one of the reps to get that done for you as well. I hope its not every dock that is affected with this issue. The rep mentioned that a lot of the docks have a problem with the miniDisplay ports. Ill let you know when the new one comes and if it solves my issue. Thanks

alanbrad

Thanks alanbrad. I contacted the Microsoft store. They are sending me a brand new dock. Best part is, I get to keep the old one (Ill return it to BestBuy and get my money back). So for the inconvenience im getting a free dock. I suggest you talk to one of the reps to get that done for you as well. I hope its not every dock that is affected with this issue. The rep mentioned that a lot of the docks have a problem with the miniDisplay ports. Ill let you know when the new one comes and if it solves my issue. Thanks

I have three docks and the problem exists with every dock. However all docks function fine with the SP3 and the SP4 and the SurfaceBook without the keyboard attached. I am sure I don't have a dock problem it is a problem with the dGPU in the keyboard.

OP
A

abeman90

I have three docks and the problem exists with every dock. However all docks function fine with the SP3 and the SP4 and the SurfaceBook without the keyboard attached. I am sure I don't have a dock problem it is a problem with the dGPU in the keyboard.

I'm not well versed in Graphics Processing Units, but does this mean its a defect that can be resolved with an update? Or do you think its more of a hardware issue?

alanbrad

I'm not well versed in Graphics Processing Units, but does this mean its a defect that can be resolved with an update? Or do you think its more of a hardware issue?
I am waiting for a response from Microsoft. I think their initial response will be to do a software update. I do believe this could fix the issues. Have you hooked yours up without the keyboard. I think you will find if you plug the dock directly to the bottom of the screen you will be able to extend both monitors. I am doing that now.

OP
A

abeman90

I am waiting for a response from Microsoft. I think their initial response will be to do a software update. I do believe this could fix the issues. Have you hooked yours up without the keyboard. I think you will find if you plug the dock directly to the bottom of the screen you will be able to extend both monitors. I am doing that now.

Im hoping an update would fix the issue. I want to play some games on an extended monitor and I don't think that's possible without the dock because it houses the Graphics Card.

That is about the only thing I have NOT yet tried. Im excited to give it a shot and I have a feeling it will work. Ill be able to try it in a couple hours when I get home. Again, thanks alanbrad for opining on the issue. I appreciate it.

Cal

I'm having the same issue. It is not the dock. I sent 2 hours with support and they couldn't fix it. One monitor works fine and the other doesn't. Glad I'm not the only one. The tech was acting like I was the only one.

OP
A

abeman90

I'm having the same issue. It is not the dock. I sent 2 hours with support and they couldn't fix it. One monitor works fine and the other doesn't. Glad I'm not the only one. The tech was acting like I was the only one.

Im exchanging my current dock tonight with best buy. Then im getting a new dock from Microsoft Monday. I will try both and report back to confirm it is NOT the dock. That's weird because the Microsoft tech I had on the phone offered to replace it almost right away. I didn't even have to suggest a replacement. I definitely felt as if I was the millionth person to call with this issue and he just wanted to bypass the convo and just send a replacement out. I hope these bugs get worked out. These products aren't cheap.

OP
A

abeman90

I hooked it up without the keyboard to a NEW dock i received from Best-buy. Still not projecting on the monitor(s) or detecting them. very very frustrating.

ccates22

Could you please explain what you mean by "connect the dock directly to the bottom of the screen" The SB "screen" doesn't have any ports on it.

OP
A

abeman90

Could you please explain what you mean by "connect the dock directly to the bottom of the screen" The SB "screen" doesn't have any ports on it.

When you undock the Surface and use it in Clipboard mode, you could connect the docking station to the bottom of the Clipboard. This is also how you would charge the clipboard independently from the keyboard which houses the Graphics Card and extended battery. Hope that clarifies...