What's new

Surface Book and Dock not projecting to extended monitor

ccates22

When you undock the Surface and use it in Clipboard mode, you could connect the docking station to the bottom of the Clipboard. This is also how you would charge the clipboard independently from the keyboard which houses the Graphics Card and extended battery. Hope that clarifies...
Ah, okay, duh! I didn't think about the fact that the power connector was the same. I haven't had it disconnected from the keyboard long enough to need to charge it up independently. I plugged it in like that and the external monitor popped right on and even looks more clear.
Now just to figure out how to get all my screen/toolbar sizing right and find a stand for the SB tablet so it doesn't have to lay flat on my desk.

OP
A

abeman90

Do you know how to get all the toolbars in IE to a reasonable size on the external monitor? So odd, the content of the web pages is fine and Office software looks good so far. Adobe Acrobat on the external monitor won't resize, either.

I cant get it to project on my monitor at all. lol

ccates22

Thought everything was starting to look okay. So, yesterday I purchased two new mini displayport to HDMI cables for my two external monitors, since I had to run by the store anyway. I figured eliminating one hop from adapter to HDMI cable could only help. I also bought a tablet stand for the SB "clipboard" or whatever they are calling it. That way I could plug it directly in to the dock as suggested and not have to lay it flat on the desk. The trick is that you have to stand it in portrait mode in order to plug in the dock connector. Ok, no problem. At first test it seemed pretty cool. I had the SB clipboard and both external monitors going and used it like that for a few hours. I even download the correct monitor drivers from HP. I spent all that time trying to figure out how to resize some programs on the monitors without having to downsize items on the SB display (to no avail, by the way).
Day 2 - after waking from sleep, only one external monitor will work and the SB would no longer rotate display. Rebooted twice without fixing either issue. I had to disconnect from the dock and reboot the SB to get the rotation to fix. But I can no longer get both monitors to work. One will work fine, but as soon as I plug the 2nd one into the dock, the 1st one just disappears from setup completely, as if it isn't connected.
And...still haven't figured out the resizing issue. Adobe Acrobat is completely unusable on the external monitor at about double normal size.

RexA

I hooked it up without the keyboard to a NEW dock i received from Best-buy. Still not projecting on the monitor(s) or detecting them. very very frustrating.
I hooked it up without the keyboard to a NEW dock i received from Best-buy. Still not projecting on the monitor(s) or detecting them. very very frustrating.

A USB adapter seems to work. So I connected my surface book to the new surface docking station. Then I used a USB 3.0 to HDMI adapter (available at best buy) to project my screen with an Epson projector. I have had no problems. There are a couple of differences from what is being spoken about. I connected to a projector not to an external monitor but I think it’s worth a try. I know they also make USB to DVI adapters. Although you will use up one of your USB ports you well still have 3 left on the dock as well as an additional 2 on the surface book.

kc9xg

I have the SP4 I5 8g 256GB and the SP4 dock. The display ports on the dock do not work with my external monitor with DVI adapter, but the display port on the SP4 itself works just fine with that monitor. When the monitor is plugged into either of the dock display ports, Win10 correctly displays the external monitor name but the monitor stays black and reports it is not getting a DVI signal from the dock. Tried getting dock display ports to display in Duplicate, and extended modes at various resolutions with no joy. Have all the latest updates.

Tried several times to get help from the Microsoft Surface support page, but after multiple tries to chat with a support person I gave up after waiting several hours for a call back. Tried Twitter @SurfaceSupport and got questions from support person, but no suggestions for resolution. Purchased from Amazon, so will need to return it if no fix is forthcoming.

Come on Microsoft, support your customers!

ccates22

No bloody way, I just switched one of the external monitors to DVI to HDMI cable with a mini DP to HDMI adapter attached to the dock and it works. So, maybe the problem is the dock or the SB can't handle two HDMI connections. So, now I am cruising with two external monitors. Now, if I could just figure out how to get all the programs to resize down to something normal when moving them from the SB to the monitors we would be good to go.

ccates22

And the next day it's back to not working....it seems to understand what I want and then deliberately not do it the next time.