What's new

Surface Book Beta

thinkthis

When we first got the Surface Book it felt like we were in the Alpha stage. So many problems disrupted even basic operation it was unbelievable. I was excited by the potential and loved the hardware but I was extremely nervous some of these more severe problems were not going to be fixed.

Well, we have now entered the Beta. After recent updates I can now use my Surface Book almost entirely without issue.

I know they are still working on the battery / sleep issue, but honestly, battery life and stability are about where I would have expected things on day one. Which is to say, pretty dang good, with a few minor glitches.

Anyway, I look forward to continued patching from Microsoft and am glad that I stuck with my decision to keep my launch unit. This continues to be one of the best laptops I have ever used from a hardware standpoint and the software is slowly but surely catching up.

EDIT: One thing I want to add. I resolved a lot of my problems even before the 12/2 patch by doing a complete wipe and reinstall of windows. I was having a lot of BSODs and windows hello was super glitch, but after the wipe my system is running really well. Even if you wiped your machine back in October, I recommend doing a wipe with the recent build of Windows to see if that doesn't fix a lot of your problems.

Last edited:

Niterider4

For many of us, doing a wipe and reinstalling Windows is a huge headache that we do not have time for. I would have hoped that Windows has come far enough that the resolution to most problems is not to reinstall the operating system. That might have been a reasonable approach in 1998, but it is hardly a reasonable approach in 2015.

Nuspieds

For many of us, doing a wipe and reinstalling Windows is a huge headache that we do not have time for. I would have hoped that Windows has come far enough that the resolution to most problems is not to reinstall the operating system. That might have been a reasonable approach in 1998, but it is hardly a reasonable approach in 2015.
A-men!!!

And I do not know why:
  1. It is always suggested so nonchalantly;
  2. People agree do to it so nonchalantly.
For #1, I think this has just become today's malaise in Support, all around. I face the same issue with my corporate IT Department: Why bother with troubleshooting?! Just re-image! :mad:

For #2, I'll do it if I have absolutely nothing installed! :) I do weekly System Image backups and when I get new PC, as I start to install, I take several backups along the way so that I never have to start from scratch if something goes wrong. I do not have time to reinstall and reconfigure everything, sorry.

Niterider4

I remember when the standard reply from most hardware and software support people was, "Do you have your original Windows disk?. Okay, put it in the disk drive and press Enter". As if.

The standard explanation was, "If we can get our modem/software/mouse/scanner/etc working on your computer, then we're done." Never mind that it would mean dozens of hours of reinstalling updates, programs and patches. They wouldn't even mention that little tidbit.

BTW I didn't mean to jump on the OP with my post - I know you are just trying to be helpful and share what has worked for you. No offence intended and it is always good to know what has worked for somebody.

JBCF

I agree with Niterider and Nuspieds that a Windows wipeout and reinstall is not a solution, it's a sledghammer approach. To my mind it's also a bit of a coin flip because sometimes the pain and aggravation of doing so is no guarantee that the problem will be resolved. It's always bothered me when this option is suggested by a tech support person as it essentially is a way for them to say "I give up. You go do all the work of reinstalling and if the problem is still there when you are finished then odds are someone else will answer your call for help and I'm off the hook".

Strangely enough, I have developed the habit of doing this with my computers (Windows, Mac and iOS) every year or so as the tech equivalent of cleaning out the attic and garage. I've been doing so for the past ten years at least. Nowadays with 95% of my applications and data up in the cloud with Office 365, Adobe CC and Onedrive it's become a much more painless operation but I still prefer to do it at a time and place of my choosing.

However, Thinkthis (the OP) may be onto something and perhaps it's an option someone with a brand new SB coming out of the box might want to consider doing as a first step. I think I've seen it mentioned in other threads by some folks who have set up multiple SB's for large environments.