What's new

Surface Book bulge

RRD

Hi all,

I purchased my SB i7/256/8 4 months ago. While it was buggy when I first got it, most issues seemed to have worked themselves out through updates.

This morning before leaving for work, I noticed that the rear has a prominent bulge centering around Windows logo - it had been on for about an hour and I had mostly been watching news videos. I'll be taking it in probably for replacement unfortunately.

My question is: has anyone else had this issue? Is it common? A quick Google search yielded one thread and it was regarding the SP4.

Thanks.

be77solo

So I can only assume this is a failed battery that expanded and bloated the case? Jeff, while I know you are wed to MS, is this of concern to the rest of us? I know from my Radio Control Airplane days (before "Drone" was the cool term and everything flew it's damn self ha) batteries expanded as they failed and were a fire hazard when they reached a certain low voltage.

OP
R

RRD

No failed battery as far as charging/power is concerned. I'm pretty sure it's a heat-driven deformity.

Wayne Orwig

It is where the processor presses against the cabinet for heat dissipation.
I have seen others report on the issue.
They all have a slight bulge there that is really hard to feel. Some get worse with time for some reason, maybe heat, maybe not.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
So I can only assume this is a failed battery that expanded and bloated the case? Jeff, while I know you are wed to MS, is this of concern to the rest of us? I know from my Radio Control Airplane days (before "Drone" was the cool term and everything flew it's damn self ha) batteries expanded as they failed and were a fire hazard when they reached a certain low voltage.
I think it is a defect in some units...not battery but most likely caused when creating the casting

tubedood

I have the bulge, nothing to do with heat or battery mine has had it since day 1. I might return mine due to this issue. I don't think searching for skins to hide this should be happening in a computer of this price category.

null4end

I just spent a few minutes staring at and caressing the back of mine and couldn't find a bulge. I do feel a bit creepy and I'm glad my wife didn't notice. ;)

tubedood

Went to Best Buy last week and exchanged mine for another due to the outward bulge below the windows logo towards the spine. New one looks better.