What's new

Solved Surface book fried

Deviatorz

So I've just replaced my SB because the previous unit's hard drive failed after a year and a half of use (I bought Microsoft complete warranty). I just received my replacement unit and it turned on at the store. It also turned on when I got home, but as soon as I plugged in to charge, the screen went blank. Now I can't even turn on the new unit. I think it was something to do with my surface charger short-circuiting the unit. I think this is what happened with my previous unit as well! Doesn't that thing have a fuse of some sort?

My question is, if I turn it in for another exchange, should I tell them I think my charger is frying the damn thing? The charger is the original one, not aftermarket. Jeez this is a nightmare....

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
You may be incorrect about the charger. Buy a new one just in case. Have Microsoft look at the replacement unit.

OP
D

Deviatorz

You may be incorrect about the charger. Buy a new one just in case. Have Microsoft look at the replacement unit.

You mean my charger isn't the culprit? Let's say that it is, will Microsoft honor the replacement since its still under Microsoft Complete? Should I bring in the charger to show them?

Edit: I also have a surface dock... plugged it in the LED lights on for about 5 seconds then turns off. The original chargers LED stays on.

Last edited:
OP
D

Deviatorz

Pick up everything and go see Microsoft. Do the right thing.

The question is, will Microsoft do the right thing. Even though this is their charger, if they don't honor the replacement, I'm $2000 short. If I bought an aftermarket and it broke the laptop that's one thing, but this is the original!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Id have to agree, you're assuming something not in evidence and hyperventilating over it. Breathe, take it in and get it sorted out.

OP
D

Deviatorz

I brought everything in. They were just shocked that another broke. They gave me an entirely new unit so I am happy. Replaced my charger as well. I forgot to bring my surface pen, but they would have replaced that too if brought it. No complaints. Still a loss, though, spend $30+ on a wood skin on my original SB and my photos. I guess it serves me right for not backing that up.

I think laptops and I don't mix. I bought an XPS 12 prior to this and the head jack came broken (no use at all). I am good at grabbing lemon computers. Luckily I returned it within a week and the send a brand new unit back then. I really this new SB isn't a lemon as well.

Moral of the story: Buy extra warranty, because this paid off for me (1.5 years now). I never believed in warranty, but the SB was too expensive not to.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
... Moral of the story: Buy extra warranty, because this paid off for me (1.5 years now). I never believed in warranty, but the SB was too expensive not to.

Great news.
I would add these words to the "Moral of the story" you demonstrated:
Honesty and integrity. You expect it from Microsoft. They expect it from you.