What's new

surface book keeps hanging

johnj2803

i have an i5 256gb with gpu keyboard.

i have updated whatever needs updating through the windows update.

i am just surfing the net with chrome with mail and small apps open and the surface book just hangs will not respond to any keyboard press or the mouse or the touchscreen. not even control alt delete. I have to long press the power button to turn it off to be able to use it again. I also tried removing the screen but it won't let me.

Any idea whats going on? anyone experiencing this as well?

beluga25

i have an i5 256gb with gpu keyboard.

i have updated whatever needs updating through the windows update.

i am just surfing the net with chrome with mail and small apps open and the surface book just hangs will not respond to any keyboard press or the mouse or the touchscreen. not even control alt delete. I have to long press the power button to turn it off to be able to use it again. I also tried removing the screen but it won't let me.

Any idea whats going on? anyone experiencing this as well?

Mine (512 Gb, I7) started hanging immediately and randomly.

All kinds of people have all kinds of ideas as to why, if you search anywhere you'll find this seems to be the single biggest issue with this embarrassing launch. Got mine Tuesday, RMA'ed it yesterday after spending big amounts of time on hold with Microsoft
trying to convince them I didn't want to image and re-install the OS since that didn't work for most people that tried it. Of course, it was
updated (the clueless Microsoft woman actually said after I received the latest Windows Defender update while online with her
that should fix the problem) but some people believe the October 23rd Knowledge Base hardware device update that is already installed
when you receive the machine is the cause of many problems, but who knows?

Anyway after speaking firmly but politely and doggedly refusing to hang up after many protestations, hold requests, excuses, dodges and
diversions they finally agreed to send me an RMA/shipping label (they pay the FedEx shipping) to send it back to their Texas center.
Good luck trying to get through to them in the first place though!

You could check with a Microsoft store for an exchange if there's one near you. Most of them are out of Surface Books though.

Good luck to all us dopes who decided to trust Microsoft on a Day 1 launch, lol!

OP
J

johnj2803

Yeah I reinstalled everything and still keeps happening randomly. I got my surface from a store. If this doesn't work out, I will just return it. And keep using my surface pro 3.

Its just disappointing...

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Just a thought - make sure your OneDrive is completely updated.

I have noticed strangeness with OneDrive after setting up a new machine, or doing Windows Reset on a PC. There seems to be a special priority given to OneDrive processing when doing the initial copy of your files and folders to the machine.

I chose to copy my OneDrive files to removable media and copy myself to the new machine. Then, some choppy behavior only happened during the 10 minutes or so to verify the 64 GB of data I have in OneDrive is up-to-date.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
My wireless failed over to the 2.4ghz access point and it's been much more stable since then and actually seems quicker.

OP
J

johnj2803

Just a thought - make sure your OneDrive is completely updated.

I have noticed strangeness with OneDrive after setting up a new machine, or doing Windows Reset on a PC. There seems to be a special priority given to OneDrive processing when doing the initial copy of your files and folders to the machine.

I chose to copy my OneDrive files to removable media and copy myself to the new machine. Then, some choppy behavior only happened during the 10 minutes or so to verify the 64 GB of data I have in OneDrive is up-to-date.

Yrs thanks for this. My one drive is up to date. It's only 40gb.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can you expound on this please?
I have two access points one 5ghz and one 2.4ghz. Normally it connects to the 5ghz access point but the wifi driver crashed (again) and connected to 2.4ghz. Since it did that several times before I just left it there and haven't had issues with wifi since then. In addition the page load speed actually seems better on 2.4ghz.

shagkie

Seriously, I wonder if they even tested this thing. I hope my i5/256gig/dGpu will have better luck when it arrives.

OP
J

johnj2803

I just noticed something... after installing mailbird on my SB and browsing through my email my surface hanged again...

not sure if that is the culprit. It uses more resources than chrome.

EDIT: definitely not the mailbird app... My surface just hanged again!

Last edited:
OP
J

johnj2803

It has not hanged on me the past 3 days which is good news!

I just did the update (nov 2) hoping that it will resolve the issues I have...

It has hanged on me twice!

So it goes back to the store...