What's new

Surface Book Pen Issue

ward.bruce

I bought the SB i7 with the performance base a few months ago and set it up with no issues. I recently decided to make more use of the Surface Pen last night. I clicked the top bottom and nothing happened. The pen would write, but would not bring up OneNote or Cortana (the default apps) which it did when I set it up originally.

I went to the online trouble shooting steps

Step 1: press top 5-7 and look for LED.. if Nothing Contact MS (which was the case).
I chatted online with the MS Rep and went through Step 1 again.

The solution is to mail back the Pen for complete replacement.

Has anyone had this happen? Is it a problem with the Pens?

nnthemperor

I bought the SB i7 with the performance base a few months ago and set it up with no issues. I recently decided to make more use of the Surface Pen last night. I clicked the top bottom and nothing happened. The pen would write, but would not bring up OneNote or Cortana (the default apps) which it did when I set it up originally.

I went to the online trouble shooting steps

Step 1: press top 5-7 and look for LED.. if Nothing Contact MS (which was the case).
I chatted online with the MS Rep and went through Step 1 again.

The solution is to mail back the Pen for complete replacement.

Has anyone had this happen? Is it a problem with the Pens?
By setup,I take it to mean you paired the pen with the device via Bluetooth. Is it possible it could have unpaired? Did you check that it was still paired? That's the only possible reason I can think of. But it's all good since you're getting a replacement.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
W

ward.bruce

yes, paired with BT in the original setup, it was working and then it wasn't though the pen writing function worked. I went through all the re-pairing steps before I chatted with MS. I am just curious if this is a common problem. Yes, I am glad they are sending a new one, but it is a hassle. After spending almost $3K on the SB, they won't just send a $59 pen? I have to send back the broken pen via FEDEX and they won't mail one until they receive the old one.

OP
W

ward.bruce

I replaced the battery before chatting with support. There was something wrong with the top part. My original post was trying to determine whether this was a common problem. I shipped the pen back. I did forget to mention that the tech's first question was: Did I drop it? No, never

Orlbuckeye

I had an issue where it stopped working and then I got an error that the driver was corrupt. I reinstalled the driver and it's worked fine for over a year. I replaced the battery once after that.

nnthemperor

I replaced the battery before chatting with support. There was something wrong with the top part. My original post was trying to determine whether this was a common problem. I shipped the pen back. I did forget to mention that the tech's first question was: Did I drop it? No, never
I don't think it's common. Never heard anyone complain about the pen.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk