What's new

Surface Book Reviews

mtalinm

worst is Mary Jo Foley's assertion that she can't type with SB on her lap b/c it is top heavy. deadly if true.

Cobalt Wraith

worst is Mary Jo Foley's assertion that she can't type with SB on her lap b/c it is top heavy. deadly if true.

I feel like this will come down to preference. I got to try one out yesterday and yes it tips slightly if the angle is more than very slightly down towards your knees, but less pressure than the weight of one wrist is enough for it to feel solidly balanced on your lap. Some may still take issue with this, but I feel like the problem is more theoretical than practical myself.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've met Mary Jo in person and she is women of short stature, her lap is quite small, lapability depends on many factors, I'm 6.1 280 and the SP3 is lapable for me. I tested the SB and it work well in my lap.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I honestly don't know why everyone is complaining about the high prices, because no one seems to complain about apples high prices as they see it as a premium device...well so is the Surface Book!

People are happy to pay a premium because it is Apple. Microsoft does not have that brand value (yet).

High prices dont bother me, I'll just buy simething else.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've met Mary Jo in person and she is women of short stature, her lap is quite small, lapability depends on many factors, I'm 6.1 280 and the SP3 is lapable for me. I tested the SB and it work well in my lap.
When I read her piece and she said it was too slippery I imagined her short legs must cerate a steep down angle to rest on. life's little challenges :)

CrippsCorner

The Verge is my technology website of choice... not a bad review, and indeed very honest. It looks great but can be improved on, what 1.0 hardware can't? By the time I need something new it should be just right ;)

The pen lag looks annoying though, I know my (illustrator) girlfriend wouldn't like that.

Kif

I know people don't like the MacBook Pro comparison but I think it's fair. MacBook Pro are the gold standard because they are highly refined machines. So refined that it my feelings is that Microsoft doesn't want to directly compete with it therefore the hybrid approach. Don't get me wrong I'm not a fan of MacBook Pro's. I had a brand new one sitting on my desk at my previous job and all it did was gather dust. However if Microsoft is going complete in the same price range they need to offer a creditable alternative.

Like Kayzee mentioned above I really like Verge for reviews.

MacBook Pro '13 a 9.0
Apple MacBook Pro with Retina display (13-inch, 2015) | The Verge

Surface Book 8.3
http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/21/9574381/microsoft-surface-book-laptop-review

mva5580

I find it pretty funny that all Windows people have said for years is the MacBook is a laughable device because of how overpriced it is, but now that Microsoft makes an equivalent of their own, all of a sudden they're a-ok.

Look if you're willing to pay a premium for something that looks pretty, fine. Go ahead and do it, it's your money. You're not "wrong." Neither are people who look at this device and find it to just not be worth the money considering how much you're paying for what you're getting.

They're just opinions. It's not a big deal.

Cimmerian

When I read her piece and she said it was too slippery I imagined her short legs must cerate a steep down angle to rest on. life's little challenges :)
Yeah every time she said anything about it not working on her lap I kept imagining short girls sitting on chairs and couches with their legs slanting down. This will most definitely not be a problem for me, kind of sucks for short people though.

EMINENT

I find it pretty funny that all Windows people have said for years is the MacBook is a laughable device because of how overpriced it is, but now that Microsoft makes an equivalent of their own, all of a sudden they're a-ok.

Look if you're willing to pay a premium for something that looks pretty, fine. Go ahead and do it, it's your money. You're not "wrong." Neither are people who look at this device and find it to just not be worth the money considering how much you're paying for what you're getting.

They're just opinions. It's not a big deal.

That's a fair assessment.. all things being equal.

All is not equal though. With SPB, you get pen, touch, tablet, discreet GPU. There's so much more value at that same price that it's justified.

fletch33

just picked up a 256GB i5 at BB

i have a 45 day return policy with no restocking fee and although i am going to give it a few days i dont think i will keep it. they didnt have a unit out to exam and so i had to buy it to see it.

its nice but its larger than i expected and much bigger and bulkier than my Macbook Pro 13 and doesnt feel as comfortable on my lap as my SP3. i will likely end up with the SP4.

i think my quickest assessment is that it feels like a giant tablet balancing on a large keyboard and with the SP3 i know thats what it is and it feels right.

im sure the Book will fit a lot of people but unless something magical happens i will not be keeping it