What's new

Surface Book turns on but do not boot

mapomme1108

Hello,

I have a Surface Book (Intel Core i5 - Ram 8 GB - SSD 256 GB)

The internal ssd failed and I was using it on an external ssd.

Now it turns on and shows a lock on a red band at the top of the screen.
It won't even boot on the external ssd or windows install usb key.
When I want to enter the BIOS by pressing the 'Power' and '+' keys at the same time, the Surface turns on but does not display the BIOS.

So I can't do anything more with it.

I would like to know if it is possible to fix the '+' button to be able to enter the BIOS
or if you have any other ideas how to fix it.

Thank you in advance for your help.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Okay.

I had this happen to me with a Surface Book Pro 3 in 2016. I took it to a Microsoft Store (West Texas). I had my doubts that anything could fix it. The machine had Windows 8 installed and worked fine until (I think) I inadvertently made a change to the Boot menu. Then I could not even boot up, or get to the menu.

A technician at the Microsoft Store knew how to solve the problem immediately. He took it into their service area, and I waited about 10 minutes. When he came back, he said they connected the screen port to their service equipment. I was told the issue is not that uncommon. The fix cost me US $100, but I drove home very happy. The machine is still working, in the hands of a family member.

I hope this helps.

OP
M

mapomme1108

Hello,

It could help but there is no Microsoft Store in France.
Microsoft offers repair packages at 500 euros : it's too expensive

OP
M

mapomme1108

Do you know if it is possible to remove the touch panel and screen and connect a usb programmer to the BIOS chip to attempt to repair it?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Do you know if it is possible to remove the touch panel and screen and connect a usb programmer to the BIOS chip to attempt to repair it?
No - this will permanently damage your Surface.
You may want to find a computer repair shop that you feel might be competent, and one you can trust. If you go this route, stay with your machine during the process, and do not reveal any passwords or passcodes to the repair professional.

OP
M

mapomme1108

Hello,

I know it would break the touch panel and screen if I remove it.

I would like to know if it is possible to connect a usb programmer to the BIOS chip.

I have done this successfully for several MacBook Pro

Thanks