What's new

Surface Book vs Razer Blade Stealth

nalbagli

I am a long time Macbook user and I also owned a Surface Pro 3 for some time and loved it, although I really didn't like Windows, I find that Windows 10 is much much better. For that reason I am considering a Windows notebook, I really want a powerful ultrabook and do care about the build quality and looks of the product.
So I wanted to know your opinion in the two alternatives I am analyzing, the Surface Book or the Razer Blade Stealth, truth be told I really don't care much about the tablet capabilites of the Surface, and although I do play games I don't think I would buy the external graphics powerhouse for the Razer. So which is the better laptop? Would be great to know your opinion.

Thanks

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you dont really want the tablet capabilities why buy it. You would be payong a significant premium fpr an unwanted fearure. There are plenty of other well built laptops out there

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Razor has the same processor/gpu (i7-6500U), but memory appears limited to 8gb. Storage: 512 gb SSD only available with UHD screen otherwise max is 256gb. Display is 16:9 (some like that I don't. It's good for 16:9 movies and blows for everything else). The Razor "Chroma" blows away anything on the Surface if your into that sort of gimmick. The base has an amazingly similar cut almost as if... it was copied. Cameras: Web cam is only 2MP and no back cam on the Razor. Battery is bigger (45wh). Razor doesn't have PEN support (a huge difference if you use inking it's a deal breaker). Connectivity: Thunderbolt, USB-C, HDMI 1.4b 2x USB 3.0 aces the Surface Book. Razor weighs 2.75 lbs vs SB 3.34 lbs .

In summary memory and storage are limited on the Razor, it doesn't have Pen support, nor tablet mode and the web cam is awful while connectivity is excellent, it has a large battery but the battery life is unknown. USB-C charging is a REAL advantage (as opposed to the hindrance of micro USB charging on some other device, not a SB). Nothing is know of the thermals for the Razor Blade Stealth. Performance should be "similar". The Razor Core (external GPU case) was excluded from this comparison.

CMD

You know that the Razer Blade Stealth will not have an internal GPU!

Kind of useless as a mobile gamer or powerful graphics tool unless you plan on lugging the external Graphics case around.

One of the reasons I got the SB was it is one of the smallest form factors with an internal GPU (but I also needed the tablet and touch screen)

Overall, if build quality is all you care about, and don't need internal GPU, there are better options

OP
N

nalbagli

Thanks for the opinions, I will analyze other alternatives then, my problem is I've only found comfortable with the build quality of this two models from what I've read and seen. Otherwise I will just have to buy another Macbook Pro.

I feel like in the Surface Book I will be paying extre for the tablet capabuilities I don't need (I use an iPad Pro for inking and drawing) but I love it's looks, power and functionality. On the other hand, Razer is maybe not as equipped as I believed it to be and I probably won't use the external GPU so maybe either alternative is the best for me.

Seneleron

When it comes to Razer, I'll admit I'm a fan. My wife has a 2014 Blade Pro [formerly mine] and I own a 2015 Blade QHD, as well as a whole host of Razer keyboards, mice, a few headsets [NOT Kraken, HORRIBLE audio on those]

I am also the happy owner of an i7 256Gb Surface Book.

I do a lot of travelling, and am currently in the middle of a 2 week business trip in the middle of nowhere CA.

I left the Blade at home.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great machine, and I'm sure the Blade Stealth will be just as beautiful, just as high quality. . but even on the 14" Blade you've STILL only got about 7" of vertical screen real estate... and after about 30 minutes on the thing my neck tenses up and I start to get a headache. It's the best machine I just can't stand to use.

I can't IMAGINE shrinking it down to 12.5" and trying to game on it. My neck starts to tense up just THINKING about it.

From a productivity standpoint, there's just not enough on screen on the Blade when I'm working with multiple spreadsheets. YMMV. Granted, I'm running it at 200% scaling, but if you drop it to 150%, you start getting to the point where you've got to squint. Again, cut 1.5" off the screen now. I don't know how the lower end 2k screen will handle it, but I can pretty well bet with the 4k screen you'll have to have the scaling up so far multiple windows are going to be nigh-on impossible to work with. 2k will probably be the sweet spot, but I don't know if they're limiting SSD capacity on the 2k model.

Spec wise, they're similar machines. Price wise, they're about on par [base SB vs QHD Blade Stealth].

They're both great machines. The best one for you is the one that suits your work flow best and the one you find most comfortable to work on. It's easy to lose sight of long term comfort when you're looking at shiny new high end kit [BELIEVE ME I'm a sucker for it] so I figured I'd throw out my personal observations to put some perspective on it.

Whichever way you go, though, hardware wise you can't go wrong with either ^^

[the other possibility is to wait and see if the 12" macbook gets a skylake refresh Q1 this year]

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You know that the Razer Blade Stealth will not have an internal GPU!

Kind of useless as a mobile gamer or powerful graphics tool unless you plan on lugging the external Graphics case around.

One of the reasons I got the SB was it is one of the smallest form factors with an internal GPU (but I also needed the tablet and touch screen)

Overall, if build quality is all you care about, and don't need internal GPU, there are better options
The i7-6500U has a GPU built in ... that's the normal term for internal GPU. dGPU would be another separate discrete GPU.

OP
N

nalbagli

When it comes to Razer, I'll admit I'm a fan. My wife has a 2014 Blade Pro [formerly mine] and I own a 2015 Blade QHD, as well as a whole host of Razer keyboards, mice, a few headsets [NOT Kraken, HORRIBLE audio on those]

I am also the happy owner of an i7 256Gb Surface Book.

I do a lot of travelling, and am currently in the middle of a 2 week business trip in the middle of nowhere CA.

I left the Blade at home.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great machine, and I'm sure the Blade Stealth will be just as beautiful, just as high quality. . but even on the 14" Blade you've STILL only got about 7" of vertical screen real estate... and after about 30 minutes on the thing my neck tenses up and I start to get a headache. It's the best machine I just can't stand to use.

I can't IMAGINE shrinking it down to 12.5" and trying to game on it. My neck starts to tense up just THINKING about it.

From a productivity standpoint, there's just not enough on screen on the Blade when I'm working with multiple spreadsheets. YMMV. Granted, I'm running it at 200% scaling, but if you drop it to 150%, you start getting to the point where you've got to squint. Again, cut 1.5" off the screen now. I don't know how the lower end 2k screen will handle it, but I can pretty well bet with the 4k screen you'll have to have the scaling up so far multiple windows are going to be nigh-on impossible to work with. 2k will probably be the sweet spot, but I don't know if they're limiting SSD capacity on the 2k model.

Spec wise, they're similar machines. Price wise, they're about on par [base SB vs QHD Blade Stealth].

They're both great machines. The best one for you is the one that suits your work flow best and the one you find most comfortable to work on. It's easy to lose sight of long term comfort when you're looking at shiny new high end kit [BELIEVE ME I'm a sucker for it] so I figured I'd throw out my personal observations to put some perspective on it.

Whichever way you go, though, hardware wise you can't go wrong with either ^^

[the other possibility is to wait and see if the 12" macbook gets a skylake refresh Q1 this year]

Thanks for all this info I actually didn't know that about the screen and for me working on spreadsheets and presentations is most of my workflow so I guess Razer won't cut it. Too bad I loved the device, but with that ratio I believe it won't be worth it. I will anaylyze other alternatives then. Thank you!!

Seneleron

For that kind of workflow in a notebook, you're either stuck with something 15" or larger, something with a 16:10 screen [IE, Apple. . the 12" macbook is iffy due to diminutive size, but it's workable--barely] or the Surface book. Pro 4 MAYBE. Everyone has a different limit as to what they can live with.