What's new

Surface Book - Which Model?

anthonylei

Guys,

I have been using SP3 for the fast 2 years and considering upgrading to Surface Book. I don't really need the CPU power and high capacity hard drive. So I am considering the i5/128GB and the i5/256GB (with iGUP) model. My question is whether the independent graphic card worth the extra cost?

Last but not least, does the current firmware fixed most know bugs / issues?

raqball

I was in the same boat as you were.. I do not need the higher CPU and I have other storage options (cloud, external drives ect) and I also do not need the dGPU so I went with the i5/8/128..

On my unit, after setup and installing a few store apps and programs, I have used about 34% of the drive space of the 128.. It has 119GB available and I have used 41GB of that..

My unit has zero issues after one whole day of use so take that for what it's worth. I have all the updates installed and everything appears to be working smoothly. The only bummer on the 128GB SSD is the super slow write speeds.

Orlbuckeye

I got the i5/8/256 GB DGPU and I added a 200 GB Micro SSD with an adapter that fits flush in the SB case. I wish i could get the SB with 512 and the same other specs but i would have to go with the i7 and the 2699 model.

compnovo

I have the base model and added a 128GB microSD card for media storage. After all the updates (including the AU update) I am having zero problems, although to be honest the only problem I had in the past was with the Sleep function not working properly. I've been hibernating instead ever since and haven't had a lick of issues.

I too have an SP3 which I considered selling but decided against it. I travel a lot for work, and on short flights I prefer the hybrid due to its size and the fact that I usually don't have to pull it out of the bag when going through security.

Fedway

Storage is probably the biggest factor. I went with the i5/8/256 GB DGPU model. Even with cloud storage, I don't think that 128GB would work well for me. It really depends on the number and size of the apps you have installed as well as the storage space needed for local files.

BearFlag

Out of curiosity what do you guys store on the SD cards, because if you detach the clipboard you lose access?

I backup my files on another hard drive and use a usb drive to transfer files.

compnovo

Out of curiosity what do you guys store on the SD cards, because if you detach the clipboard you lose access?

I backup my files on another hard drive and use a usb drive to transfer files.
I store media files (music and movies).

Orlbuckeye

I store media also mostly Videos. I have the MS Display adapter and I broadcast to my TV. It's never a good idea to fill up your SSD. Also I never use the SB to watch videos in tablet mode even on a plane.

OP
A

anthonylei

after some thoughts, I decided to hold on the SP3 for a little longer..... and bought a new SP4 keyboard and 200GB microSD card as an update