What's new

"Surface Book with Performance Base"

Megoapesnut

When I go to my Microsoft account it shows 1 serial number for my Surface Book. Serial number are used just like MAC addesses to identify specific devices. The Surface Book is sold and manufactured as 1 item with 1 serial number.

Surface Book
The serial number for your Surface Book is on the bottom edge of the Clipboard where it attaches to the keyboard.

f01f4650-dd39-4253-9bd1-4d120fd3bf7a.png

If you can’t read the serial number on the Clipboard, you can use the serial number on the bottom of your keyboard. Registering this serial number will automatically register the serial number on your Clipboard.

To find the serial number for your keyboard, turn the keyboard over and look for the number on the bottom next to the rubber foot.

509b3fb5-5076-4004-8c2d-93f2f30cde6f.png

I am not disputing this but there ARE two serial numbers. Unless they changed something in the past few months. If you go into the settings on the tablet, you will see that the serial number for the clipboard is different than the serial number etched onto the bottom of the base. Look at your box too. There are two serial numbers on it as well. One for the base and one for the clipboard. Again, unless you received a unit recently and they changed something. Both the unit I purchased in Jan and the unit a friend purchased in June have TWO serial numbers. They sold and manufactured with TWO serial numbers. Although I think that for warranty purposes only the base is registered, which is why you only see one online

Orlbuckeye

Ok in reading what i posted it says that if you can't read the clipboard serial number you can give the base so they must be linked because when I look on my MS account it only shows one serial #. I'm at work and my SB is at home so I can't check.

Which serial # is listed under your MS?

flar

The convenience of the fact that they associate the two numbers on manufactured devices doesn't necessarily preclude them from selling them separately, but it does indicate that they aren't thinking along those lines presently.

The human factors teams probably suggested the association due to the fact that the base serial number is more visible on the hardware and the fact that there are two serial numbers on the box and they'd end up with a lot of half-registered devices in the system if they didn't automatically register both halves together.

Yes, the base has a serial number etched on it but the clipboard/tablet has a different serial number which is NOT visible on the hardware. You have to look it up in the settings.

The tablet serial number is also visible on the hinge edge of the tablet. You have to detach it to see it.

Megoapesnut

Ok in reading what i posted it says that if you can't read the clipboard serial number you can give the base so they must be linked because when I look on my MS account it only shows one serial #. I'm at work and my SB is at home so I can't check.

I am pretty sure it is the base serial number

flar

Mine only shows the tablet serial number as well. I'm not disputing that they register the entire device from one serial number, just that it doesn't necessarily mean they can't sell additional bases as un-associated accessories.

(Glad I checked - I noticed that they never transferred my MS Complete to the new SB when I exchanged it. Grrr...)

Orlbuckeye

There's a reason why they sell them together. They have the Surface Pro if you want a tablet first that can be a laptop. The Surface Book is a laptop that can be a tablet. They why they replace the whole unit it there is an issue with the clipboard.

Now if they did something like that they would discontinue the SB and call it something different.