What's new

Surface Book won't separate

Sadsaytr

Hi All,

My Surface book will no longer split in two. That problem started earlier this week.
The battery is fully charged, and the power supply is hooked up. No matter how long I'm holding down the eject button (the LED comes on) there is no click and no separation.

Also is there a way to turn off the back light on the keyboard??

Many Thanks in Advance.
Larry

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi All,

My Surface book will no longer split in two. That problem started earlier this week.
The battery is fully charged, and the power supply is hooked up. No matter how long I'm holding down the eject button (the LED comes on) there is no click and no separation.

Also is there a way to turn off the back light on the keyboard??

Many Thanks in Advance.
Larry
Count up on the clipboard 6 holes from the bottom (on the side) and using a straightened paper clip press it into the 6th hole on each side...that is the manual release...

This is assuming you haven't set that you haven't set the NVIDIA GPU as the default or that the machine isn't asking you to resolve before attaching (i.e. closing the offending program).

OP
S

Sadsaytr

Hi Jeff, Just so I am on the same page as you, are the "Clipboard Holes" the same as the vents around display??
I should add that since putting in my request to the forum I have discovered four "System Devices" with the yellow Triangles.
Surface Base Firmware Update
Surface DTX
Surface Keyboard Backlight
Surface Pen Pairing

Should I fix those first??
How do I get into the BIOS to update the firmware??

Many Many Thanks in Advance
Larry

cunn8780

I just had this happen earlier today and got a notification that the Microsoft Photos app would not let the surface book separate, even though the app was not open. I opened the app and immediately closed it and then my surface book was able to separate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jeff, Just so I am on the same page as you, are the "Clipboard Holes" the same as the vents around display??
I should add that since putting in my request to the forum I have discovered four "System Devices" with the yellow Triangles.
Surface Base Firmware Update
Surface DTX
Surface Keyboard Backlight
Surface Pen Pairing

Should I fix those first??
How do I get into the BIOS to update the firmware??

Many Many Thanks in Advance
Larry
You can from Device Manager uninstall each and see if the reinstall correctly or you can do a Search for Surface Book drivers download (only download from Microsoft), download the .msi file for the version of Windows 10 you are using...

Surface Book (original) - Download Surface Book Drivers and Firmware from Official Microsoft Download Center

Surface Book 2 - Download Surface Book 2 Drivers and Firmware from Official Microsoft Download Center

This should load the drivers

OP
S

Sadsaytr

I just had this happen earlier today and got a notification that the Microsoft Photos app would not let the surface book separate, even though the app was not open. I opened the app and immediately closed it and then my surface book was able to separate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Cunn8780,

MANY MANY thanks for the info!!!!
Much to my surprise that fix worked for me. I had doubts as I nave never used that app.

Larry

GePeKo

There are several reasons that the display won't detach. Of those mentioned in this thread, I suggest that you find a YouTube video before trying to manually detach because the vent holes are very soft and easy to damage.
Microsoft's help site basically gets you to refresh the system which can sometimes result in the loss of time and data (eg non-windows store applications) whilst not rectifying the issue, so do it as a last resort.
One easily fixed cause of this issue that doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere is when material becomes caught between the display and the keyboard, for example if you open it up while it's sitting on a hairy style of rug, then small fibres from the rug can disrupt the electrical connection. This can be fixed by carefully removing any fibres stuck in between the display and the keyboard, especially around the centre connection.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk