What's new

Surface Brick - Constant red light on dock eject button

BubbaUK

So I shut down my Surface Book (i7/16Gb/512mb/Perf base) as per usual before Christmas (Start > Shutdown). It had been on power all day so base & clipboard should be fully charged. I go to power up a week later and nothing happens except the release button on the base lights up and glows constantly red. I assumed flat battery and left the unit on charge over night. Still nothing.

The clipboard wouldn't detach from the base, so I used the paper clip trick to undock it and left that on charge for several hours - still won't boot, attached or detached. I tried my SPro 3 charger on both dock and base to eliminate issues with the power supply - still nothing. I noticed neither power brick warmed up during attempted charging, which they usually do, but that may be because the units are already near full charge. Reattaching the clipboard to the base does nothing - after about 5 seconds the red light comes back and remains on, so presumably there is power in the base.

I've tried:

- power button down for 30 seconds, waiting 30 seconds, power button again - nothing
- power down + Volume-up for 20 seconds, waiting, then power on - nothing
- cleaning contacts on power supplies and clipboard - nothing, and no wires appear to be bent or broken

Any suggestions before the unit goes in for replacement? Microsoft are quoting £492 ($670USD) for a fix!

TIA.

Plantje

What?! Do they know what's going on then? Or would you just get a replacement? No more warranty?

OP
B

BubbaUK

It's 6 months out of warranty. You go through the Microsoft troubleshooter and it comes up with a "Replacement for £492" option. I'm now looking at getting a repair from Amazon, from whom I bought it.

Plantje

Is it an option to go into a store and try it with a different base? Or try another SB on your base?

OP
B

BubbaUK

Sadly we don't have Microsoft stores in the UK. Since the clipboard is dead & doesn't work on it's own, I don't think it's actually the base that is a problem.

Plantje

In the Netherlands there are no Microsoft Stores either... but other stores hold the Surface Book; perhaps you can check there?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
This happened to my Surface Book last year. The red "Eject" key was on constantly, and the clipboard would not detach.

Finally found the culprit with a toothpick. After manually detaching with a safety pin, I fished around and found a sliver of my vinyl skin smashed inside across a contact. I had applied a vinyl skin months prior, which also had a segment to fit around the ports of the clipboard. A piece got inside. Removed it, and the red light went out. Works fine since.