What's new

Surface Car mount?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The GPS-enabled PC program or app expects to receive GPS NMEA Sentences via a COM port (Bluetooth or USB mapped through to COM) in a simulated 4800 Baud rate.

Your Internet connection or other Bluetooth connections do not have to be disconnected, though slow PCs can have trouble keeping up with all the input/output devices.

I use the built-in Windows 10 offline maps (select by country and province or region or state), and sometimes Google Earth, or Microsoft Streets. For Google Earth, GooPs (free version) is a must.

My favorite app for GPS on my Surface Pro 3 is the built-in offine Maps app, which works wonderfully with the touch interface.

Screenshot (231).png

Screenshot (232).png

Screenshot (234).png

m0v1em4n

Thanks
Got all that using the Microsoft Maps program I have download the maps for my area,
I just turned the internet connection off so I would know that it was using the GPS rather than the internet for my location

Do I need any other software to be able to use the GPS receiver, When paired It created two comports, but if I load the maps program it can't find my location,

Any idea why my GPS and windows phone for that mater are paired but not connected

Screenshot_18.png

Last edited:

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The phone GPS chip does not translate your location sense into "NMEA Sentences". That is the requirement to use Maps app.

bluegrass

My phone can give me real-time location information. While I was a passenger in a car, I brought up a map of where we were driving and I could follow our car on the map and could see each of the roads as we passed them.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, your phone provides GPS, but not exported to your Surface. That requires "NMEA Sentences".