What's new

Surface Case Reviews

EMINENT

The ThinkTank case, the Artificial Intelligence 13, arrived today.

artificial-intelligence-13-computer-sleeve

For me, it's perfect. It's small, and designed to be carried vertically, which I think is cool. It has both a carrying handle and adjustable shoulder strap.

The Surface Pro with Type Cover slides right in. It is snug front to back, a perfect fit. Side to side, though, it has some extra room. You will find that as it sits in the case, there's about 1" of play on either side, and if it's snug against the bottom, you'll find about 3" of play at the top, below the zipper. So, it's not flush. But as I said, it's tight, like a clam, front to back. And - it sure slides in and out easier than the HP I was using.

(Photos will follow)

Also, there's a massive, expandable front pocket, with multiple smaller compartments.

And - the Holy Grail - there's a slot for the stylus. Yes, a slot for the stylus.

Also, one of the pockets fits the Wedge Mouse *perfectly.*

And besides that, the AC adapter, the already mentioned Stylus and Wedge Mouse, a big set of keys, my Galaxy Note 2, my LG USB 4G LTE modem, and sunglasses - all fit easily inside. Back pocket too, for papers and boarding passes.

So if I'm heading out in the world, I'm 100% geared up, with every conceivable accessory, in a small, cool case.

Protection? Better than the HP I was using, because the case is semi-solid...not just soft.

My search is over. Forty bucks, including shipping.

I use ThinkTank for my $3000 Nikon D800, and my arsenal of lenses that cost much more than that. As of this writing, I own 12 ThinkTank camera bags. Plus, bigger versions of this bag, for my mongo 17" laptops. And now? I am so happy to have their product wrapping my Surface Pro, and every accessory I own.

Just got mine Wednesday. This is perfect for traveling to and from work. I needed something that I didn't have to hold. The vertical orientation is a must for not looking like a tool. It's small and slim enough to slide into my backpack if I wanted and has a great compartment for bluetooth headphones, stylus and even enough for the charger if I really needed it, but I get through the day without it.

Thanks so much!:cool2:

Last edited:

mmm

Does anyone see the need to install an invisibleshield on the back or is the vapormg pretty durable....?

riggi

Tucano Multitasking case

I bought this case today for my SP.
Multitasking for iPad
The model # is BMTIP

I have the Incipio case from MS, but I wanted a case with a handle and shoulder strap as I sometimes have to carry more than just the SP.

I don't live in a big city, so the choices at the shops here are fairly limited. If I went to Bangkok, I would have a lot larger range to choose from.

I really like this case as it fits the SP with the type cover attached quite well. It has an elastic flap that you can flip over the SP to stop it moving around and it fits snugly (unlike the Incipio case that doesn't fit over the SP with the type cover attached, although the Incipio case is so snug, that it isn't really necessary.

It has plenty of room for the charger, pen, VGA adaptor, BT mouse, Rii Mini BT keyboard and USB cable for my phone. But it's not much bigger than the Incipio case. It has 3 zippered compartments other than the main one, one has small slots for pens, USB sticks etc.

I've attached a photo next to the Incipio case for reference and also a photo of the SP with type cover attached inside the case with and without the elastic hood in place.
The SP is pushed right to the bottom of the bag, so you can see it's quite a snug fit once the elastic hood is over it.

20130427_123926.jpg

20130427_123833.jpg

20130427_123847.jpg

T

TheConstruct

I picked this case up this weekend, and I'm still not 100% convinced I like it. It's almost a little too bulky to be effective. While it's nice that it has pockets for all of my accessories, I'm kinda hoping there is a sleeve that will accomplish the same thing. This thing is almost like a backpack, and I'm not sure that's the best fit for me. $30 at your local Walmart though, so all things considered I could have done much worse.

*Be advised that most "universal" tablet cases will NOT fit the Pro.* I saw this awesome looking case by Targus and said it would fit any 10" tablets. Closer investigation showed it would fit up to 10.2" and the Pro is 10.8" long.
View attachment 358

I too have this bag, and I love it. It is not perfect, but it is very nice. I'm going to tell you why it's Awesome, and why it's not.

The bag is very well built. The stitching is tight and clean, the fabric is a thick and dense canvas, and the padding is 'Just Right'.

The first thing that really drew my attention was the size and style if the zipper pulls. Far to often the pulls themselves are the weak point. Not so on this case. They look like they will easily last the life of the bag. Another was the zipper itself. Large wide teeth that pull with great ease, even around the corners. The zipper goes to the bottom of the case just before the curve. This lets you open the pockets all the way without having to worry about them dumping all over the floor.

The fabric inside is a fine nylon. Soft enough to prevent scratches, smooth enough to prevent particulate retention.

The Bag has two primary pockets, the back pocket is around as 'deep' as the front one. The front pocket will accommodate a SP in a case with a TypeCover without being cramped.
The back pocket has two small document sleeves and a small zippered pocket as well as two pockets for Pens and/or Styli.
On the face of the front and back there are two additional pockets. As you can see in the picture, the front one has a small flap preventing item loss while open. The back one however does not. But it does have a small pocket the the zipper pull lives in while the pocket is closed. And last but not least, the straps. There are two, a small handle at top/center/back, and a nice long shoulder strap. They are both made of the same type used for seat belts. Soft, Supple, Durable, and Strong.

Now for why its not Perfect.
Because the back pocket is the same profile as the front one, it is hard to fully utilize. I get around this with an old slim ODD case. If they had split the deeper pockets 30/70, I think the bag as a whole would be better. That small flap over the front pocket makes it very hard to access. And the clips on the strap that attach to the bag are poor quality.

Everything else about the bag is really nice. And I will be using it for some time.

Last edited by a moderator:

ScottyS

I just found a Samsonite Classic Business Netbook, for 10.1" Netbook that's perfect for what I need. It fits the Surface Pro with Type Cover and has 2 inner pouch pockets, one large zippered outside pocket on one side and 2 on the other. It comes with a rugged shoulder strap with a nice shoulder pad. Very well made, nicely padded but thin and light.

Amazon.com: Samsonite Classic Business Netbook, for 10.1" Netbook - Black, 43272-1041: Electronics
Can also be found at Staples and other places; I found it at Marshalls for half the price!

TrevlynJ

I've got one of these for when I'm out an about Pelican Products | 1075 & i1075 HardBack Case, and one of these for general use Amazon.com: Manvex Slim and Compact Leather Folio Case Cover for the Microsoft Surface PRO Tablet with Windows 8 | Built-in Stand with Multiple Viewing Angles with Stylus Holder - Also compatible with the Type Cover and Touch Cover from Microsoft (Ke.

I've found that the Pelican case will accept the Manvex folio quite nicely. The only downside is that there's no room for anything else, such as a charger. If I'm going somewhere overnight I generally pack everything into a small backpack. Overkill? Possibly, but for the amount of coin I've invested in my SP I want it to have the best protection possible.

It won't be for everyone, but it suits my needs.

mitchellvii

I've got one of these for when I'm out an about Pelican Products | 1075 & i1075 HardBack Case, and one of these for general use Amazon.com: Manvex Slim and Compact Leather Folio Case Cover for the Microsoft Surface PRO Tablet with Windows 8 | Built-in Stand with Multiple Viewing Angles with Stylus Holder - Also compatible with the Type Cover and Touch Cover from Microsoft (Ke.

I've found that the Pelican case will accept the Manvex folio quite nicely. The only downside is that there's no room for anything else, such as a charger. If I'm going somewhere overnight I generally pack everything into a small backpack. Overkill? Possibly, but for the amount of coin I've invested in my SP I want it to have the best protection possible.

It won't be for everyone, but it suits my needs.

Using a case like the Manvex isn't as slim light or sleek as going naked with your Surface Pro, but if you drop it your $1200 baby won't be as busted either. Really comes down to your risk aversion vs your compulsion for aesthetics. Manvex is awesome case as cases go but it's still a case.