What's new

Surface Complete Replacement for Surface Pro 1?

dyelongjustice

Hi, I have a Surface Pro 1 and Microsoft complete. If I file for a replacement due to accidental damage on my SP1, will they replace it with a refurb SP1? Or will they upgrade you to the SP2? Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

tarrant64

They will give you a refurb of surface pro 1. Wont be able to upgrade it through their online exchange process, their systems won't allow you to do it. I know - I just tried during my surface pro 1 advanced exchange (also have Microsoft complete).

The replacement units are 'like new' - the one i just received is flawless.

yes - they still have probably plenty in stock.

OP
D

dyelongjustice

They will give you a refurb of surface pro 1. Wont be able to upgrade it through their online exchange process, their systems won't allow you to do it. I know - I just tried during my surface pro 1 advanced exchange (also have Microsoft complete).

yes - they still have probably plenty in stock.

Awesome, thanks for letting me know! I'll probably just wait until closer to the end of my complete coverage, and then just magically drop my pro, and see if I get can get a SP2. I doubt I will, but it's worth a shot, considering I have a scratch in my screen :/

tarrant64

Awesome, thanks for letting me know! I'll probably just wait until closer to the end of my complete coverage, and then just magically drop my pro, and see if I get can get a SP2. I doubt I will, but it's worth a shot, considering I have a scratch in my screen :/

Haha, and that's why they only give refurb units for replacements. :) not to put any doubts in your mind because I guess it could still happen, but keep in mind they built so many Pro's and Surface RT's that they had to write most of them off eventually and start marking down the price significantly in the past few months. This is because they had too much excess hardware. There's also the fact that Surface Pro 2 hardware is not readily in stock every either. Some devices being out of stock for weeks on end - this is because Microsoft didn't want to repeat the same mistake and just made what they thought they could sell.

OP
D

dyelongjustice

Haha, and that's why they only give refurb units for replacements. :) not to put any doubts in your mind because I guess it could still happen, but keep in mind they built so many Pro's and Surface RT's that they had to write most of them off eventually and start marking down the price significantly in the past few months. This is because they had too much excess hardware. There's also the fact that Surface Pro 2 hardware is not readily in stock every either. Some devices being out of stock for weeks on end - this is because Microsoft didn't want to repeat the same mistake and just made what they thought they could sell.

Well hopefullly the tides will turn in a year and they will have more SP2's than SP1's :). Was the replacement process easy for you? I've heard some horror stories, but it looks simple enough on the website.

CrippsCorner

Look around the forum and you'll realise this isn't always the case... many people have been sent utter rubbish, and have again had to send that Surface back to Microsoft. Luckily, I've done it myself and got a good one back, but I seem to be one of the luckier ones.

tarrant64

Look around the forum and you'll realise this isn't always the case... many people have been sent utter rubbish, and have again had to send that Surface back to Microsoft. Luckily, I've done it myself and got a good one back, but I seem to be one of the luckier ones.

Absolutely the process can be trying. I was one of the ones who received a faulty unit, and had to return it, and ultimately a 2-3 day exchange process turned into 3 agitating weeks. I guess I can say -the expectation should be that the unit you receive is near flawless. Indeed if you search around - you'll find others who have had to do multiple exchanges.

The process is easy when it goes right the first time. If it doesn't - everything you do afterwards can take an additional 3-5 days. Return unit - 3-5 days. Start another exchange, 3-5 days, and so on...

kneehawk

Yea
It took me exactly 3 days to get my new unit (from the day I contacted support to the day it arrived at my door). My unit was flawless. I guess I lucked out.

Does anyone know if replacement type covers are refurbished as well?