What's new

Surface Cover Telemetry

Spiderless

Hello,

I'm having a bit of trouble with an 'unknown device' on Device Manager, which apparently is the Surface cover telemetry - whatever that is.
I looked it up and no one seems to able to suggest anything beyond resetting all of Windows, which I really do not want to do (I've only just got it all set up how I want it!).

I have also downloaded the driver pack from MS' website and tried to install that, to no avail.

Here is a screen of the error I keep getting:
drivers.PNG

Can anyone help?
I'm yet to see any adverse effect but would like my squeaky clean Surface to remain squeaky clean!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Attach the cover to the Surface, remove the unknown device from Device Manager and reboot leaving the Cover attached and see if PNP loads the correct driver when you log in...

OP
S

Spiderless

That worked thanks, it says it found the drivers and got rid of the error but the 'unknown device' is still listed. Hopefully whatever it is will be sorted in the next patch. Thanks :)

deldalton

Attach the cover to the Surface, remove the unknown device from Device Manager and reboot leaving the Cover attached and see if PNP loads the correct driver when you log in...

I don't have a Touch or Type cover. Can you confirm why this unknown device appears in my Device Manager? As I've never connected one of the covers I would not have expected the device to appear.

And, if it's not needed, I'm happy to disable it or remove it from the Manager.