What's new

Surface Dial

So anyone know how this will interact with the Surface Book? Will it work on the screen the way it does on the Studio? What do you think; will there be a lot of apps which will be developed to work with it? Any inputs?

CrippsCorner

Last week, Microsoft announced a Bluetooth-powered smart puck called the Surface Dial, which adds additional functionality to the new Surface Studio all-in-one PC. But the company has since revealed that the Dial will also work with the Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 – eventually.

Speaking to The Verge, Terry Myerson, Microsoft’s Head of Devices and Windows, said that the company is working on a firmware update that will let Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 owners use the Surface Dial on their device’s display

Read more at Microsoft’s quirky Surface Dial puck just got way more useful

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I am using the Surface Dial with my Surface Book.

The Surface Dial sits on the tabletop next to my computer as a short little 1" radius, 1" high little puck. The interface is intuitive. When browsing with Edge, or Chrome, or Windows Explorer (file manager) or even iTunes, a rotation clockwise scrolls down in a very smooth and responsive way. Makes so much more sense than a mouse with wheel. If I press and hold it down, I get a haptic feedback vibration from the Dial, and a Surface Dial wheel pops up on the screen, allowing me to change the rotation function to volume, or zooming, or levels of "Undo".

Here is a screenshot.

Love this device.

dial_edge.jpg

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I can play music, and just reach down and gently dial the volume up or down. As smooth as the dial on a Harmon Kardon amplifier.

Many apps already have Surface Dial functionality, like "ink replay" or object selection and positioning. The ability to use it on the screen will be coming soon, but on the desktop, I believe it already to be a winner.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
More comments:

- Works even on the lock screen. Rotate for volume. Haptic feedback every 2% volume, giving the feel of a dial with discrete positions.
- When not selecting volume or items in a menu, the haptic feedback is turned off automatically. Smooth scrolling of the screen.
- Very good for scrolling/reading web pages.
- Magnetic but rubberized base sits nicely on the Surface, or on metal surfaces. Base comes off to access batteries (2 AA), and attaches magnetically.

OP
H

hogwldfltr

I am using the Surface Dial with my Surface Book.

The Surface Dial sits on the tabletop next to my computer as a short little 1" radius, 1" high little puck. The interface is intuitive. When browsing with Edge, or Chrome, or Windows Explorer (file manager) or even iTunes, a rotation clockwise scrolls down in a very smooth and responsive way. Makes so much more sense than a mouse with wheel. If I press and hold it down, I get a haptic feedback vibration from the Dial, and a Surface Dial wheel pops up on the screen, allowing me to change the rotation function to volume, or zooming, or levels of "Undo".

Here is a screenshot.

Love this device.

View attachment 8370

Thanks for the details; I might grab one. Likely will.

OP
H

hogwldfltr

Last week, Microsoft announced a Bluetooth-powered smart puck called the Surface Dial, which adds additional functionality to the new Surface Studio all-in-one PC. But the company has since revealed that the Dial will also work with the Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 – eventually.

Speaking to The Verge, Terry Myerson, Microsoft’s Head of Devices and Windows, said that the company is working on a firmware update that will let Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 owners use the Surface Dial on their device’s display

Read more at Microsoft’s quirky Surface Dial puck just got way more useful

I'd read that before; there's a difference between working with and working on the screen like it does on the studio.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I really don't care if the Surface Dial firmware arrives to make it work on a Surface Pro or Surface Book screen. The menus work fine by free-wheeling the Surface Dial, as the selected item is highlighted. A light press makes the selection, confirmed by a configurable haptic feedback.

Windows 10 provides a "Wheel" device menu, which allows me to customize behavior, menus, and defaults.

The gentle magnetic base grabs the Surface Book nicely.

plumbago_sb_dial.jpg

wheel_menu_sb_dial.jpg

IMG_0112.JPG

IMG_0113.JPG

chekhonte

Setting the dial to undo on tap and step back on rotate in photophop is the only thing that's preventing me from returning it. It's so handy when in tablet mode, with no keyboard shortcuts.