What's new

Surface dock without keyboard

colvill

My Surface Book and Dock has not shipped yet (Australia) but I am wondering if the SB will successfully connect to the dock without the keyboard attached? I ride my bicycle to work and it would be nice to travel light and leave the keyboard at home where I use it most. At work I have 2 x 27" screens and proper keyboard etc ready to dock. I understand I will lose the GPU but that's OK.

Alternatively it would be great if I could buy a 2nd keyboard unit.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do not own one but I can't see why it wouldn't work. The clipboard has the connector, and is in reality the computer, the keyboard base is essentially just gpu and power with port functionality. Ports meaning the clipboards connector is the same as the sp4 etc. Just my opinion though :)

bmclachlan

No, that's not correct. The dock connector attaches to the keyboard (unfortunately) on the Surface Book. I wish it was on the clipboard itself.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The dock connects to the keyboard or the clipboard just fine.

All dock peripherals are available in the clipboard mode, just as if the keyboard was connected. The dock can connect to the clipboard using the same center long-dimension port as the keyboard unit.

I sometimes go all day keeping only the clipboard connected. Batteries are charged and ready for me to grab and go. The keyboard unit sometimes stays in my travel bag. This is very different than how I used my Surface Pro 3; I rarely used the SP3 in tablet mode.

The dock uses the "blade" connector with the same dimensions as the charger to the Surface Pro 3. The two connectors are the same, except that the dock connector adds some data contacts.

Dock connector is completely reversible, and has strong magnets. Much better than the Surface Pro 3 "blade", which still works as a charger for either unit of the Surface Book.

I am VERY pleased with the foresight Microsoft had on this one.

Keyboard and clipboard both connected
image.jpeg

I am holding the clipboard with my left hand
image.jpeg

OP
C

colvill

Thanks for confirming this. It's encouraging to hear that Microsoft has made the clipboard so adaptable. It's a shame it doesn't have a kickstand too. :)

bmclachlan

Well, so sorry for the erroneous post that the dock connector only attaches to the keyboard. My SB was only two hours old and I didn't even get to the point on detaching the keyboard but was relying in information from a MS tech at the MSFT store who said there is no connector on the clipboard (to my disappointment). I was a happy camper to read the above and then immediately detached the keyboard for the first time to see it on the bottom. Live and learn!

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Well, so sorry for the erroneous post that the dock connector only attaches to the keyboard. My SB was only two hours old and I didn't even get to the point on detaching the keyboard but was relying in information from a MS tech at the MSFT store who said there is no connector on the clipboard (to my disappointment). I was a happy camper to read the above and then immediately detached the keyboard for the first time to see it on the bottom. Live and learn!

No need to apologize! I'll wager you are very pleased with this new discovery.

olimjj

Ahh, yes, at first I thought it was more bulky, but they look the same.

Still, I want to make sure I can connect the Surface Dock to the screen while in landscape mode.
If you check the specs, they are the same dimensions 7 x 1 x 1