What's new

Surface Dock

r0b123

Somehow I missed this on my radar, but the new Surface Dock will work with the SP4 and Surface Book, but also the SP3. What I like is doesn't use the existing USB port, but increases the amount of USB ports. It also uses the same port that is used for charging.

I'll be getting one for sure as it will add to my SP3 and the Sp4 pre-order.

Microsoft Surface Tablets

Tech specs
  • Works with Surface Book, Surface Pro 4, and Surface Pro 3
  • 5.12" x 2.36" x 1.18" (130mm x 60mm x 30mm)
  • 1.21lbs. (550 grams)
  • 2 Mini DisplayPorts
  • 1 Gigabit Ethernet port
  • 4 USB 3.0 ports
  • 1 Audio out port
  • SurfaceConnect™ cable
  • External power supply

Had considered the new dock/breakout box for my SP3 but wound up with the SP3 dock at the weekend on account of it being discounted. The trade off is essentially all USB ports being USB3 & twin 4K support over DisplayPort out vs an actual 'drop the tablet in' dock for desktop use as opposed to a breakout box.

WIll be interested to read everyones thoughts about the new dock when people get them in their hands.

GTiceman

Somehow I missed this on my radar, but the new Surface Dock will work with the SP4 and Surface Book, but also the SP3. What I like is doesn't use the existing USB port, but increases the amount of USB ports. It also uses the same port that is used for charging.

I'll be getting one for sure as it will add to my SP3 and the Sp4 pre-order.

Microsoft Surface Tablets

Tech specs
  • Works with Surface Book, Surface Pro 4, and Surface Pro 3
  • 5.12" x 2.36" x 1.18" (130mm x 60mm x 30mm)
  • 1.21lbs. (550 grams)
  • 2 Mini DisplayPorts
  • 1 Gigabit Ethernet port
  • 4 USB 3.0 ports
  • 1 Audio out port
  • SurfaceConnect™ cable
  • External power supply

You mention the dock used a USB port, I don't believe that is correct. the dock connects to the Surface power port and that is all from everything I can find, where did your see it uses both those ports?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm using the new dock at work and I love it. The Surface Connector drives Power, Video (via DP) and USB 3.0 all through the connector. The new dock is also a MST Hub. I'm driving a 4K and 2K Monitors as well as my SP4.

Red-Oak

I am thinking of getting the Dock to use with my SP3. Reviews at the MS Store give it 2.5 out of 5, reviews at Best Buy give it 3 out of 5, neither very encouraging.
I have come to respect the people, and their views here, so would put much more weight on them:

Get it?
Don't get it?

ETA - I have the SP3 dock, it is OK, but....

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I am thinking of getting the Dock to use with my SP3. Reviews at the MS Store give it 2.5 out of 5, reviews at Best Buy give it 3 out of 5, neither very encouraging.
I have come to respect the people, and their views here, so would put much more weight on them:

Get it?
Don't get it?

ETA - I have the SP3 dock, it is OK, but....

Only if you want to use the SP3 as a tablet while connected to an external monitor(s).