What's new

Surface has been out a few weeks - app growth is SLOW

mapexvenus

Yes yes, I know: Quality over quantity. I haven't seen the growth in the number of quality apps in the store. Every day its the same list of featured apps. Where is Dropbox, an Everynote app that actually works, Pandora (a tablet version, please) etc.

Are developers not interested in writing for this platform?

guitar1969

Yes yes, I know: Quality over quantity. I haven't seen the growth in the number of quality apps in the store. Every day its the same list of featured apps. Where is Dropbox, an Everynote app that actually works, Pandora (a tablet version, please) etc.

Are developers not interested in writing for this platform?

I am not sure what your idea of what is considered app growth, but approx 500 apps are being added daily. Worldwide there are over 15k. that is pretty incredible growth. Far faster than android and apple at launch. China by far is leading the way in app count believe it or not. At the rate its going, there will be over 30k by xmas. With the surface remember that the actual tablet hardware was kept hush hush up until launch so I think the major developers did not commit right away to see about the hardware and it will take a bit of time to get a quality app released. 2 great sources regarding app releases and counts are winappupdate and Mcakins online -both on twitter.Although their counts vary a bit because its not easy to track they also track new releases and review them.

With the overall positive reviews on the surface and the business community committing to the Surface, no serious developer is going to ignore that market.

J515OP

Super Moderator
It has been less than a month since the tablet has been available. I'm not sure what you were expecting. As noted the apps are coming but they aren't going from 5,000 to 500,000 overnight.

kfons

so why don't all these new apps show up or why isn't there an actual new app section, I see the same stuff everyday?

OP
M

mapexvenus

so why don't all these new apps show up or why isn't there an actual new app section, I see the same stuff everyday?
Thank you. I think you're the only one that may have understood my 'quality over quantity' qualifier in my original post. I'd like to add to your question by suggestion that perhaps MS has to do a better job at showcasing new apps. The store front looks the SAME every day since the launch of the Surface.

Sin

Microsoft has had issues with their search in the Marketplace for Windows Phone where the best apps do not get showcased as they should. In a few categories you have to dig down to find the best app in that category and that doesn't help the platform or reward the developer that has done the best job. Hope they improve that for both the Windows Phone and Windows 8 platforms.

mdfire

If you search for "*" in the store you will get all of the apps and the number. It was over 9000 last night. In the two weeks since I got it, that number has gone from 4,000 to over 9000. That would suggest between 8-10000 a month. As more developers get on board the rate will surely increase.

guitar1969

Its been proven that even "*" does not give accurate numbers. If you check out the sources above you will see that its not that simple. If you are talking worldwide, you would need to change you language settings as well on each search.

AFPoster

I first thought that the App growth was non-existent when I bought my Surface and started browsing the Store. However, each day I am finding more and more apps. Although they aren't always what I want I am glad that things are just being added and updated on a consistent basis.