What's new

Surface keyboard mis-types in Outlook 2013

kyndacrazy

Has anyone else experienced an issue with the keyboard where you will go to type, but instead of Outlook 2013 recognizing the input as text, key inputs are mistaken for shortcuts? For instance, typing an "S" pops up the Windows search option on the right edge of the screen. The only way that I have found to fix this is to restart outlook - sometimes this does not work and I must restart the computer. Is it possible that I am triggering some shortcut option? This also happens via a wireless keyboard and not only on the type cover.

Thanks!!

Nuspieds

I also use Outlook 2013 but, no, never experienced the issue you described and I also use a Type Cover and Bluetooth keyboard.

However, Windows being Windows, there have been occasions where I accidentally pressed whatever key combinations and whatever Office app I was using did go into "shortcut" mode--but this was visually noticeable when the shortcut keys showed up as tiny keyboard buttons on the menu bar.

To this day, I do not know what I pressed but I do know for sure that it has always been the result of me accidentally touching a couple of keys as opposed to my keyboard accidentally triggering Office shortcuts.

daniielrp

I also use Outlook 2013 but, no, never experienced the issue you described and I also use a Type Cover and Bluetooth keyboard.

However, Windows being Windows, there have been occasions where I accidentally pressed whatever key combinations and whatever Office app I was using did go into "shortcut" mode--but this was visually noticeable when the shortcut keys showed up as tiny keyboard buttons on the menu bar.

To this day, I do not know what I pressed but I do know for sure that it has always been the result of me accidentally touching a couple of keys as opposed to my keyboard accidentally triggering Office shortcuts.

I know if you just press ALT while in an office program it will label your ribbon with shortcut keys, was it this that you saw?

bluegrass

An obvious thing for you to do is shutdown and try again but I assume that you have done that. I come for a tech support position and my next question I would ask, "is the problem repeatable"?. I would have suggested that you have a stuck key but I'm not sure if having a stuck key wouldn't cause a problem in your other Office app or not. If the problem is repeatable you could try removing your keyboard and trying the on screen keyboard just of grins and see if the shortcut still happens with the S. My process in trouble shooting is always keep dividing eliminating things that might cause the problem.

OP
K

kyndacrazy

Thanks for the replies. The ribbon definitely does not have the shortcut labels on it. Also, I have tried the onscreen keyboard with the type cover removed as well as a wireless keyboard - all do the same thing. I forgot to mention that I have also seen this behavior in Internet Explorer, but not at the same time as it is seen in Outlook. I have swapped out my type cover once, so I can rule that out as well..... any other thoughts?

Nuspieds

I know if you just press ALT while in an office program it will label your ribbon with shortcut keys, was it this that you saw?
Yes, that was it! It's funny that I never thought it could be something as simple as that probably because I was always in the midst of pressing some other key combination. ;)

Nuspieds

Thanks for the replies. The ribbon definitely does not have the shortcut labels on it. Also, I have tried the onscreen keyboard with the type cover removed as well as a wireless keyboard - all do the same thing. I forgot to mention that I have also seen this behavior in Internet Explorer, but not at the same time as it is seen in Outlook. I have swapped out my type cover once, so I can rule that out as well..... any other thoughts?
The only thing I can say at this point is that if you are also getting the same issue by just using the onscreen keyboard, then the problem is software-related.

Since the problem doesn't seem to be system-wide (i.e., across all your apps), is it possible for you to try to do a reinstall of Office (not an uninstall, just re-run the install in "repair" mode)? I know that doesn't necessarily solve IE, but it is still an MS product, so you never know.