What's new

Surface Laptop backlit 7/& key much brighter than other keys.

ketel0ne

My first Surface laptop was bought in Austin, Tx at Fry's Electronics and had this issue. The Microsoft store in Tysons, Va. swapped it out no questions asked and handed me a sealed new one. Got it home to West Virginia same exact issue. I kinda gave up and didn't think about for a week. Today was at Best Buy in Winchester, Va. demo unit at the store same issue. Hard if not impossible to see the difference under the stores' fluorescent lights but if you light up the keyboard and cup over the keys it is clear it has the same issue. Anyone else seeing this?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
What Surface device? Surface Pro, Surface 4 Pro, Surface 3 Pro, Surface Book?

This would indeed be strange - three devices with the same issue. My two Surface Book computers do not show this. Perhaps it is by design on the lighter-weight keyboards?

OP
K

ketel0ne

Surface Laptop, the one that comes with Windows 10S (has the issue with 10S or pro with and without updated firmware from June 15th). That is why I posted in the Surface Laptop forum.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, right. Sorry.

Does it seem that a LED is positioned just under the 7/& key (which is near the middle of the keyboard from right to left)?

OP
K

ketel0ne

Oh, right. Sorry.

Does it seem that a LED is positioned just under the 7/& key (which is near the middle of the keyboard from right to left)?

It does seem that way and it is pretty noticeable when in a conference room during a briefing, others have made some interesting comments after seeing it. Other than that, they are great machines and rival a Macbook pro at least when are both new.

spaceworm

I have the same issue. Got my cobalt blue from BB last week, don't know if I should exchange it before the 2 week deadline. Only bothers me when its night and becomes distracting....

marcbollinger

Same here, but believe it or not, I think it might have been intentional since it is directly under the key that controls the keyboard brightness. Still pretty distracting though and looks like something is wrong.

jpfive

I just setup my new one - 256/8. I do not have the problem with the 7 key. If I tilt the keyboard up I can see the lighting under all keys, but it is brightest under the space bar, No problem under the 7/&. Space bar is ok also at a normal working angle.

I notice that the f1 and f2 keys do not control backlighting like with the book. They control screen brightness only. On/off and brightness levels for the keys is toggled by the f7 key - noFn key required. One press turns lighting on dim, next two presses increase brightness, next press toggles lighting off.