What's new

Surface laptop not that popular?

Ive been looking at the surface laptop off and on at best buy and it's definately a nice piece of hardware...but i come into the forum and there is barely any posts about it? whats up? is it the price ? I plan on buying another computer between now and christmas and lo0king at the surface laptop and the macbook pro 13.3...

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, @callihan_44 ,

Many of the posts here were/are regarding the need for support for previous Surface devices, and for the introduction of Windows 8 and then Windows 10. The Surface Pro has reached a level of maturity regarding hardware and software, and is a fine machine, perhaps needing less problem-solving and troubleshooting than previous devices.

But, I'm sure questions will pop up. Perhaps we will hear from you.

By the way, the MacBook is certainly a good machine, too. I am into both apples and oranges.

Reactions: VXG

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
We have about a dozen deployed at work... They just work no problems. I'm a pen user so it's the Pro for me...

jpfive

Ive been looking at the surface laptop off and on at best buy and it's definately a nice piece of hardware...but i come into the forum and there is barely any posts about it? whats up? is it the price ? I plan on buying another computer between now and christmas and lo0king at the surface laptop and the macbook pro 13.3...
Well, it's a new product. Traffic will increase. Actually, it seems to me that traffic is down in all forums here compared to previous. I say that having owned just about every surface yet introduced. Perhaps it's the proliferation of product offerings. I just ordered my laptop - to join my book and pro 3. Come on in, the water's fine.

srmccoy

It's fairly new, and most people really only seek to discuss them when there's either a major issue or a major feature to talk about. Right now the Surface Laptop is just a good, reliable (seemingly) laptop.

That said, I just got here...so yeah!

John2k14

Well I replaced a SP3 for a SL (i5/8GB) and so far is been working perfectly fine, the screen is absolutely stunning compared with SP3 even the aspect ratio is more friendly then before.
I confess that for me the constant concern is the Keyboard reliability, I even bought the i5/256/8gb for cost effectiveness in case of this keyboard become so damage that I have to buy a new laptop, sure that I have 2Y warranty although I'm not sure how's that gonna work with MSFT support (so far they failed on me with SP4 type cover that working 8h/5d got serious usage damage and start to fall apart on the fabric).
I've been following SL on reddit and is almost inexistent for problems, but keep in mind, that when if fails on you, you better have some cloud / backups working or else you'll loose everything because you have no moving parts.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aspect ratio is the same as sp3 is it not? 3:2

Surprised you had warranty issue with your type cover. I had a 5mm tear on a corner where my palm rests and they replaced it without an issue just using the standard warranty.

John2k14

Aspect ratio is the same as sp3 is it not? 3:2

Surprised you had warranty issue with your type cover. I had a 5mm tear on a corner where my palm rests and they replaced it without an issue just using the standard warranty.
Yeah you're right, the aspect is the same although the screen is taller than SP3.

Well in fact for what is worth the issue that I got was to ask for warranty at the website, for the last six months every time that I tried to go there to ask, if keep a progress bar "waiting..." endless... Different browsers and so on... I don't have a MSFT store on my country, so my option is website or the store, because the store takes 30 days, I didn't want to be without Type Cover that long, so I kept going until the SL got launch and I sold my SP3

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah you're right, the aspect is the same although the screen is taller than SP3.

Well in fact for what is worth the issue that I got was to ask for warranty at the website, for the last six months every time that I tried to go there to ask, if keep a progress bar "waiting..." endless... Different browsers and so on... I don't have a MSFT store on my country, so my option is website or the store, because the store takes 30 days, I didn't want to be without Type Cover that long, so I kept going until the SL got launch and I sold my SP3

Where abouts do you live? I'm not sure if online support staff will be via one centralized location, or various "hubs" to cover various geographical regions. In the UK I've never had anything but great success from MS live chat reagrding warranty issues (no stores here either). I think my type cover took about 3 days from posting (which I agree would still be problematic had I not been on holidays at the time). From reading around, it does seem that certain areas experience very different levels of quality from MS.

John2k14

Where abouts do you live? I'm not sure if online support staff will be via one centralized location, or various "hubs" to cover various geographical regions. In the UK I've never had anything but great success from MS live chat reagrding warranty issues (no stores here either). I think my type cover took about 3 days from posting (which I agree would still be problematic had I not been on holidays at the time). From reading around, it does seem that certain areas experience very different levels of quality from MS.

From Portugal sometimes I'm bounced to a Brazilian call center /chat not sure what is happening their but it's not pretty I'm even trying to get an invoice with VAT ID from Msft from an online purchase and after 10days I'm still pursuing that!
Although every time I had and issue in the U.K. I got it sorted within a week, last time was with a defective Msft Band 2 and they switch it with zero issues.

Afy

The Surface Laptop is competing with every other touch enabled Windows Laptop out there. Some of the competition like the XPS, Spectre etc are compelling alternatives to it. Personally I do not understand why MS came out with it, nor is it a device that interests me given the wide range of alternatives, some of which are clearly better.

singleview

I just bought a Surface Laptop, and I have to say, am loving it!!