What's new

Surface Laptop - Why Bother?

DavidZ

Why would anyone buy a Surface Laptop instead of a Surface Pro 4?

The early news reports said the Surface Laptop was going to be a low end device to compete with Chromebooks. But the Surface Laptop line starts at $999. Why not get an SP4 instead?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Because people have different needs, such as many prefering the stability and typing experience of a traditional laptop form factor, or having no use for inking.

And as with the surface pro, this is more a device to act as a flagship to promote the new OS, to encourage OEM's to design their own cheaper (or more expensive..) variants. Look at the price of the google chromebook pixel. It is the OS which is designed to compete against chromebooks, not the hardware. OEM's can design the hardware in whatever manner they feel best.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
User choice: People asked for a laptop type device, now they have it. If it's not what you want, that's ok, move on, not everyone wants the same thing for whatever reason. Catering to personal preferences is a good thing.

MickeyLittle

Plus as a Surface Book owner I can vouch for it being much more lap able than the Pro line and yes I did own each of the Surface Pros. While they do work great with keyboard folded under the kickstand I just never got comfortable to using it on my lap with the keyboard and kickstand.

And it does support the Surface pen but that is a separate purchase.

I agree with the previous comments. This new laptop is not for everyone. It fits the needs of some people out there. Here is my example.

When I bought my Surface 2 in 2014, I knew exactly what it was capable of. It has its limits, but, I still love the device and use it each and every day. It was meant for me and others who still have one and use it. However, many other people did not like it and returned it for something else. In the end, we choose what we like and what works for us, without criticizing something that does not meet out needs.

I am not saying that anyone here is criticizing the new device, just speaking in general terms.

I, personally, am excited to see how the public reacts to this new device.

Best regards,

Shawn

OP
D

DavidZ

User choice: People asked for a laptop type device, now they have it. If it's not what you want, that's ok, move on, not everyone wants the same thing for whatever reason. Catering to personal preferences is a good thing.
With the Surface line, MS has revolutionized the form factors with the intent to demonstrate to the Windows PC manufacturers what's possible. It's a showcase for Win 10. The Surface Laptop seems like just another laptop that is similar to a number of other laptops from a variety of other manufacturers. If not, what am I missing?

MickeyLittle

You maybe right but I believe it to be about $500 cheaper than the Surface Book with similar specs except no tablet mode. My i5 128GB SB lists for $1499 and the Surface laptop starts at $999. There are some but not many 13 inch laptops with inking quality of the surface pen that weigh less than 3 pounds, screen resolution higher than 1920X1080 for $1000.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
With the Surface line, MS has revolutionized the form factors with the intent to demonstrate to the Windows PC manufacturers what's possible. It's a showcase for Win 10. The Surface Laptop seems like just another laptop that is similar to a number of other laptops from a variety of other manufacturers. If not, what am I missing?
A couple things: The design is the best design in it's class, something for partners to shoot for instead of going for the cheapest build they can make. Nothing partners have made really impacts people buying Apple MacBooks, this does. People just don't look deep enough.

Bogdamn

I have a silly question for anyone that owns a Surface Laptop with a Pen if you can enlighten me :) Does the Surface Pen magnetically clips on to the Surface Laptop like it does to the Surface Book or Studio? Thanks!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a silly question for anyone that owns a Surface Laptop with a Pen if you can enlighten me :) Does the Surface Pen magnetically clips on to the Surface Laptop like it does to the Surface Book or Studio? Thanks!
Nobody has one because it won't release until June 15th.

Bogdamn

Probably no one owns one yet but I was wondering if anyone got their hands on a Surface Laptop together with a Surface Pen to see if it clips on or not...