What's new

Solved Surface Management Engine not starting

jc1409

Recently had all updates installed on my SP4, but show in Device Manager that the device will not start (Code 10).

In device manager it previously said something like, restart needed, in the Surface Management Engine properties/status page.

I manually restarted (including cold boots), but no change. The SP4 seems to be working fine otherwise - is there a way to check what things are not working, because the Surface Management Engine has not started?

anyone else seen this or know what to do to fix this?
Jeff

OP
J

jc1409

On the driver details page, it says that version 11.0.0.1202 is installed, which I think is the latest versio of the Surface Management Engine.

coolowl

I cannot help except to tell you that my Device Manager reports the same version number. I looked at the Events and although it installed on the 17th it listed failed on the 19th and reinstalled again on the 19th.

I checked a couple other items in the Firmware section and they too were reinstalled on the 19th. Perhaps yours didn't?

OP
J

jc1409

Thanks - I found the following error in the logs:

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x8024CE0E: Microsoft driver update for Surface Management Engine.

I didn't find any installation success (although the driver number shows updated version). I was thinking about choosing to roll back this driver, with idea that I could then choose to update it, but haven't yet.

OP
J

jc1409

I ended up choosing to roll back the driver for the Surface Management Engine, rebooted, and then went back into device manager and chose to Update the driver. Rebooted again, and all seems to be working now.

Not sure why this didn't work during the normal downloaded update, but FYI in case anyone else runs into this.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do know that the latest SP4 drivers / updates have posted to the download page (Finally lol) - In the event anyone out there was wondering. I am glad to hear that @jc1409 got his issues resolved.