What's new

Surface Memiry Questions/need help

I am so glad to be on Windows 8.1 rt now. Was running the preview and that preview did bug me a lot and it feels really smooth with the official update on it now.

That being said I was hoping for some help/suggestions on freeing up memory on my 32 GB RT tablet(really wish I would have gotten the 64 lol)

Anyway the memory is currently reading 9.95 GB of 26 GB remaining for me,

I have very few apps on my rt and no pictures and I have about 500 Songs(which is the biggest thing taking up space on the RT)

With that said....I also have a 32 GB SD card I brought and plan to utilize.

1. What are some ways to free up the memory on my RT? I could've sworn last I checked when I was running the preview I had like 12 GB of space.

2. I read in the Wpcentral comments that it was possible to set your apps to install and run directly from the SD.... Can someone clue me in on how to do this?

Thanks a bunch!

CrippsCorner

You could always store music in the cloud, or on another computer on your network. This was my first thought about my own system, however my network is slow and for me it wasn't the best solution.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
How large is your Windows.old folder? Mine was 7GB but my wife's and son's were around 500MB, I gained a total of 11GB of free space with the 8.1 RT Upgrade and removing the Windows.old folder.

beman39

How large is your Windows.old folder? Mine was 7GB but my wife's and son's were around 500MB, I gained a total of 11GB of free space with the 8.1 RT Upgrade and removing the Windows.old folder.

Ok lets try that again... as I was replying in this post my RT froze, strange it never did that before 8.1... anyways I was wondering if I should do the same as you, which is delete the "windows old" folder to gain more room, that's why I liked the "flaw" MS patched with 8.1 where we could do a little reg hack to install all the apps to the SD card, but now MS patched that with 8.1 and ruined it! lol to OP what you could do is install all your music to the SD card along with all your pictures and you should gain a little more room also there is a little mod per say to change the directory of your music/pictures/documents folder to your SD card which oion outlines in this thread http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-hacking-development/5799-how-installing-games-apps-micro-sd.html

lowboydrvr

Within 8.1, there is an option to move music, video, and pictures. It is located under PC Settings/PC and devices/Devices. At the bottom of that menu, you now have "Default save locations": Save music, pictures, and videos to a removable drive by default. Just click the "Set up" button and choose what you want saved to the card (music, video, pictures). Then click OK. The button will change to "Stop saving here". Pretty neat feature.