What's new

Surface mini to feature Kinect features...

quadtronix

Just came across some news about a 1080p Surface mini w/ kinect features due next year.…

8" Microsoft Surface Mini rumored to sport air gestures control, 1080p display

Shoot... If it works as advertised, sign me up... I would buy a Surface Mini RT at 720p without those features... But this is a Baytrail 1080p, full win 8.1 and Kinect features.... I'll buy that in a heart beat. Throw in Cortana virtual assistant and stylus, maybe a kickstand and I might just throw away my other tablets. Lol.… but serious!

ChemCat

Why in the world would one want a windows 8.1 mini surface? What legacy app would one want to run on an atom processor driving an 8" display? Also, by simple act of browsing, such a device could catch a worm or adware or some other nasty stuff.

I might consider getting an rt version. But a non-rt version is just dumb.

kristalsoldier

Why in the world would one want a windows 8.1 mini surface? What legacy app would one want to run on an atom processor driving an 8" display? Also, by simple act of browsing, such a device could catch a worm or adware or some other nasty stuff.

While I would not put it that way, I share the sentiment!

OP
quadtronix

quadtronix

I'm done with Windows RT... I use Evernote on all my devices but the RT version is buggy. The PC version on the other hand works just fine. For that reason alone I would want a Baytrail processor but I'm also more excited about the Kinect features and the 1080p display.

oion

I'm done with Windows RT... I use Evernote on all my devices but the RT version is buggy. The PC version on the other hand works just fine. For that reason alone I would want a Baytrail processor but I'm also more excited about the Kinect features and the 1080p display.

That's the fault of the developer that ported the Evernote app to the Win8 metro version, not RT.

CrippsCorner

Consider people that use their Surface in a different way to you. 99% of the time my Surface is hooked up to an external monitor... driving an 8" display is a moot point. It'd be great to be able to take such a small device with you and then dock it to a full screen when you really needed to do some work :)

oion

It doesn't matter whose fault it is... The point is that it doesn't work right and I need it.

No, it does matter which party a consumer ends up blaming. It's just like blaming Microsoft for the lack of apps, which achieves as much as a user leaving a bad review for a product because the 3rd party seller messed up shipping. All bugs should be reported to the app vendor; I've gotten a number of bugs fixed this way when interacting with the actual devs. The onus is on the user to communicate properly. Throwing random flames in the wrong direction simply means nothing will get fixed, and a bad reputation would be wrongly attached to a product when the problem lies elsewhere. It's not smart consumerism. I would never use a Mac because the platform isn't supported for gaming, for example, but that doesn't mean I'm going to blame the Mac hardware and OS; obviously it's because the devs don't support it. Macs are fine for other things.

Consider people that use their Surface in a different way to you. 99% of the time my Surface is hooked up to an external monitor... driving an 8" display is a moot point. It'd be great to be able to take such a small device with you and then dock it to a full screen when you really needed to do some work :)

Reminds me of the dream proposition from OQO. Everyone remembers OQO, right? You should. :p

The problem is that your use case is, I firmly believe, a miniscule outlier: Extremely few people would buy a mobile device on the ultramobile end of the bell curve in order to be tethered 99% of the time. So the question is how small that target audience is and how much profit can be made on those edges of the bell curve--the current 10.6" Surfaces are already niche products, certainly the 8" Dell and whatnot. Of course, I fully expect the 7-8" to be much more successful than the OQO, but the usability factor for regular mobile use is really going to matter to the bulk of consumers. You cannot compare the usability between an Apple Mini running a mobile OS and restricted mobile-only apps versus a Windows 8 "mini" where none of the desktop apps scale the UI for mobility.