What's new

Surface name rumored to be replaced by HORRIBLE name Lumia.

EMINENT

One of the most horrid and lucrative rumors I've ever heard. Lumia is difficult to pronounce. I cringe every time I hear someone say Lumina like the Chevrolet Lumina. That car SUCKED! I don't know about you, but I don't want my tablet associated with that horrible POS and of which people can't even pronounce right. What on earth are these people thinking at Microsoft?

Please dear God make this just a rumor or I might have to ditch the brand. The phone is bad enough. I don't want my tablet named that crap.

Microsoft rumored to be licensing Nokia's brand name for phones | Windows Phone Central

Microsoft rumored to be licensing Nokia's brand name for phones

Rumors
Windows Phones
By Harish Jonnalagadda, Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 9:27 am EDT

Microsoft's branding strategy post Nokia's acquisition may see a shift in the naming convention for the Finnish manufacturer's line of handsets. According to @evleaks, Microsoft is finalizing the terms for licensing the Nokia brand, and may introduce the "Nokia by Microsoft" branding for the handsets.

Furthermore, the Surface series may also witness a change, as @evleaks states that the Surface line of tablets will be marketed as Lumia going forward for better brand streamlining across the tablet lineup.

While the "Nokia by Microsoft" branding makes sense insofar as continuing the tradition of the iconic brand, a move to rename the Surface line seems far-fetched.

For now, there is no validity to these claims, and since there isn't any official confirmation of the same, we suggest you take the news with a grain of salt.

Would you like to see the Surface tablets rebranded as Lumias? What are your thoughts on the "Nokia by Microsoft" branding? Share your thoughts in the comments.

Thanks to everyone who sent this in!

Last edited:
OP
EMINENT

EMINENT

Everyone needs to take to Twitter and Facebook to let them know that this is a terrible idea.

Hit up Microsoft, Surface, and Windows all if you feel the way I do.

Last edited:

daniielrp

I like it, customer engagement with the brand is very good, Lumia is more recognisable to people than "Windows Phone" or "Surface".

Yes, I've met people who say 'Lumina' (they're no worse than people who say 'Aluminum' ;) ) - but that's not a reason to hate on a name that will get more people on board with the brand.

kristalsoldier

Perhaps they can develop two distinct lines of devices - Lumia for the consumer segment and Surface for the "professional" segment. The former driven by the outcome of the convergence of Win Phone OS and Windows RT, while the latter driven by the full Windows OS and riding an Intel chip. This way, MS could probably continue to exploit whatever goodwill and market recognition that the Lumia brand has for its consumer market segment across its phone, phablet and tablet lines. The Surface brand would be directly associated with "professionals" and the enterprise segments - across its phone, phablet, tablet/ hybrid lines.

I think MS would be making a mistake if killed the Surface brand. It has immense possibilities!

benjitek

Terrible idea... If anything they should be moving things over to the Surface name. Surface (hybrids) and Surface Phone. The name represents the product, and lends itself quite well to endless advertising scenarios. Hopefully, it'll turn out to be nothing more than what it is now: a rumor :-(

Nuspieds

I couldn't care less if a product name appeals to me or not; what I care about is whether its features and functionality appeal to me.

By any other name, I'd still purchase the Surface Pro line of devices.

OP
EMINENT

EMINENT

I know that Lumia isn't better known than Surface. It shouldn't be either. It's been a failure since inception. They know the phones as Nokia xxx, or xxxx. Not Lumia something. No one cares for that name. It just doesn't stand out.

Nuspieds

That's great for you -- but if it's not marketed well, it won't stay on the market -- no matter how deep the pockets of Microsoft -- it's not about you ;-)
That's exactly right that it isn't about me...and nowhere in my post did I ever state or suggest that the name should be all about what I want or think it should be. I repeat: I couldn't care less if a product name appeals to me or not; what I care about is whether its features and functionality appeal to me.

In other words, if the product meets my use case and it has a name that appeals to me, then great; if it meets my use case and has a name that does not appeal to me, then still great!

daniielrp

I know that Lumia isn't better known than Surface. It shouldn't be either. It's been a failure since inception. They know the phones as Nokia xxx, or xxxx. Not Lumia something. No one cares for that name. It just doesn't stand out.

Where do you get this info from? They don't know them as Nokia xxx, they know them as Lumia xxx - I know this because I work in the mobile industry and deal with clients all day who use a range of different devices, but anyone with a Lumia knows it is a Lumia.