What's new

Surface not detecting keyboard cover.

So weird. One of those, "It was just working last night" kind of thing.
I turned on my Surface Pro, got into windows, and nothing on the keyboard works.
I have the: Surface Pro Type Cover with Fingerprint ID
I took it to the Microsoft store. They tried another keyboard on my Surface, and it didn't work. Tried my keyboard on another surface and it worked.

So the keyboard seems ok. They said its software or the hardware port is bad but I have to turn it in. I didn't since I didn't backup anything yet. It's out of warranty. It'll be $450 to replace if its hardware.

Anybody got any ideas? could it be some keyboard drivers that aren't installing? Is there a way to reinstall the drivers? Or to have it scan for the keyboard? Under device manager, it didn't find anything and nothing with a warning.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like dirt or debris in the connector. Blow them out. Also, inspect with a bright light. Magnetized connectors attract metal filaments and fibers.

Happened to me. Twice.

Also, put keyboard on backwards/reversed. See what happens.

OP
S

starstreak

Ah that was a good one. But it didn't work. I checked the little contacts and they were all clean. Since I know the keyboard is good. all that is left is the unit or software. is there a BIOS I can check?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Could just be something to do with your windows install. I get it from time to time, and it isn't dirt related. I'm on the insider program, and it seems that some build updates lead to it occuring more than others. I find it's generally a case of repeatedly having to detatch and reatatch and mash the keys a bit.

Not the most ideal situation (but if you might be looking at a return/replacement then might as well try), but do a complete reinstall of windows removing all of your files and such (backup first naturally).

Also, while they're all clean to the naked eye, get some ISO alcohol and give both sets of contacts a good wipe. I have a torch that uses a magnetic chargin stand, and despite giving it a very good wipe with a cloth, it wouldn't detect and charge, but a drop of ISO and some paper towl and it is working perfectly again.

jimmur

This has worked for me in the past. Turn off computer, the hold the volume up and power button together for about 10 seconds. Release and it will go into UEFI. Click on exit then restart. Keyboard should work. Good luck.

xcalibrate

I have the same problem. Keyboard dead after updates. Microsoft unhelpful. Cover works on other devices perfectly. It is certainly a ‘driver’ issue. The connectors are perfectly okay. When I ‘boot’ into UEFI the Type Cover works perfectly. As soon as I exit, and load Windows... the keyboard is dead. Only HID shows in ‘device manager’. Disconnecting and connecting keyboard repeatedly produces no effect. Switching off Cover in UEFI, rebooting into Windows and then switching Cover back on in UEFI has no effect. Microsoft answer; purchase a new device. I’ve to purchase a new device when it is their updates that has caused the issue. That’s their solution... apparently.

I’ve had a Surface RT, a Surface Pro 2, 3 and a 4 but I’ll not be buying another, even though I love them. There appears to be no solution to this issue. It’s customer service at its poorest.

eKeith

Sounds like a Windows driver issue. This is how I would proceed:

Using an alternate keyboard (usb or Bluetooth) search for and download the type cover keyboard driver (if available independently).

Open device manager, reconnect the type cover, find the HID entry associated with it. Right click and uninstall it.

Remove and reconnect the type cover. If windows does not automatically try to install the proper driver, then try manually installing the one you downloaded.

Good luck.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

OP
S

starstreak

I tried that and removed the HID I found for the keyboard. Nothing would reinstall since it's completely ignoring that I have the keyboard attached.

I tried to reinstall windows. Nope. Keyboard still not recognized.

I heard about the firmware glitch that caused the screen to go bad. (I don't know exactly what it does to the screen) but MS can't fix it and is replacing the SP4. I wonder if something happened to the keyboard also? This started happened right after windows was doing a bunch of updates.. But then again, windows seems to always be doing updates when I turned on the SP4. lol

Joseph Donohue

Same problem here. After trying just about everything, I started doubling back. I realized eventually that going to UEFI was not enough. Once there I went to Devices and was taken to another screen that showed a list of devices. At the bottom of the list the button for Type Cover was not active. I slid it to blue and now the type cover is recognized. The driver is now displayed in device manager.

OP
S

starstreak

Aww man and I gave it to MS store to Troubleshoot. I won’t get it back till next week to try that. :(.
Btw, I was in UEFI before and I saw keyboard on/off, and it was on. But I thought that was on the main screen. Maybe I didn’t go into devices?

OP
S

starstreak

Well I got back the Surface. Yup. Broken. They think it’s the hardware on the surface that connects the keyboard. So it’s $450 for a replacement. Not sure if I’m going to do that.

OP
S

starstreak

Boy... without the keyboard... I hate the Surface. lol.
What is a good,thin replacement keyboard I can use with the surface that has a touchpad and uses a BT connection?