What's new

Surface or touchscreen laptop

wyzard

Good morning.

I'm trying to decide between a Windows Surface Tablet or a new Windows 8 laptop with a touchscreen. I know it's a matter of opinion, but am looking for thoughts/suggestions or input from those that may be lucky enough to have both.

Thank you.

Ephoras

do u have a laptop at the moment?
If yes put windows 8 pro on it and use it without touchscreen. WIndows 8 will boost the speed a lot.
You can still buy a Surface RT and get the awesome tablet feeling;) but i personnally dont think laptop with touchscreen is good since win( works great with mouse, too.

So buy a tablet and revive your old laptop with win8

LA33R

If you don't have a laptop, or your laptop is very old... I suggest getting a new one before a surface RT, because the RT is still only a toy, no native apps etc...

If your laptop is modern I would suggest buying windows 8 for £25, an you should still have enough money for a surface if you're thinking of a new laptop.

I have a laptop running windows 8 without a touch screen and it works well, but if I just want to browse the web or write a letter, I get the surface out.

archapacman

You could always get surface rt with a cheap desktop for remote pc. This is my plan at the current moment. The weight/form factor of surface rt is too hard to give up. Even against the surface pro, the surface rt has better weight and slimmer design

Afy

On the laptop side there really are no compelling devices out there right now. The best one I have seen so far is the Sony Vaio with an i7, 8GB RAM and a 256 GB HDD, and all of the sensors.
But its a Sony...
I would wait for the really good touch-lets to come out.

J515OP

Super Moderator
On the laptop side there really are no compelling devices out there right now. The best one I have seen so far is the Sony Vaio with an i7, 8GB RAM and a 256 GB HDD, and all of the sensors.
But its a Sony...
I would wait for the really good touch-lets to come out.

Convertible Ultrabook Laptop & Tablet PC | Ideapad Yoga 13 with Windows 8 (US)

At a Glance:
Up to 3rd generation Intel® Core™ i7 processor
Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro
13.3" Ultrabook™ with an HD+, IPS display
Starting at 3.4 lbs
Up to 8 hours' battery life
Up to 128GB SSD storage
Up to 8GB memory

app-laptop.png
app-tablet.png
app-tent.png
app-stand.png

Afy

I guess that would work for some. I unfortunately have never had any luck with Thinkpads..

What I really would love is 15.6 touch screen, discrete graphics, minimum of 1080p something that is not an ultrabook. I am not obsessed about battery time per se.

Then again my XPS with a touch mouse seems to be doing fine for the time being. Though I must confess I do keep trying to touch its screen and sometimes wonder why nothing is happening.. lol

J515OP

Super Moderator
Well many new Windows 8 Laptops are coming out. Stay tuned and you are sure to find something that will fit your specs :)